TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,

Just a quick question, im thinking about buying an aprilia sxv 550 (but not getting rid of the tl) has anyone got one or heard any stories bout them good or bad

cheers stu

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Initially I would have said stay well clear ...... but a mine of mine who has one absolutley adores his :)

He had several problems in the first few months, and as his is the full race version it carries no formal warranty, but his local(ish) dealer and Aprilia seem to be pretty good (if not quick) and he hasn't really had to dip into his pocket yet to get things fixed :O

There are a few things though - if you do many miles the servicing regime is VERY intensive - full top end checks/rebuilds every 3500 miles (that includes valves/rings:dowhat ), and you are not advised to use dual carriageways/constant throttle openings for more than a few miles :coocoo

·
SQDBIKE Admin,
5,965 Posts
they're a race bike through and through. I was kicking the tires on them, and while i've fallen in love with them looks wise, i was disappointed about how cheap they looked in person. If i'm gonna shell out that kinda cash, it better look like sex on paper, and in life. :O

-:banana

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have seen one at the track and I think it would be as much fun as the KTM. The thing is a toy and is expensive, so I would have it track only I think, but I thought it was sweet in person. Crashtd you have a pretty high standard for motards. The KTM is pure sex in person, and a better choice might be the 950 SM since it is wicked cool, but it is too soon to buy one. :lol

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
My brother races one over here with great success...see front row on the left....has had no problems so far....and its damn fast....:devious

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I've ridden them...they're sick...especially when you de-restrict them :devious

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
I've ridden them...they're sick...especially when you de-restrict them :devious

errrrr, over here you don't have to de-restrict them - they sell two versions - Worthless and Race :) :laugh :laugh

P

·
0 Posts
Are ouy going for a new or a used one??

Buying new I would rather go with a Husaberg 650. (-07 model)
Nicier Imho, and they are both skyhigh on maintenance. The Husaberg has had a few years development in the engine, and is a more mature engine.
And it absolutely stopms!!! :hail :hail

Won a shoot out with the Svx 550 in sweden...
(kicked it's butt to be honest... :lol all testers picked the Husa over the Svx...)
Not that the Svx is a bad bike, its's very nice. The Husa is just niceier :p

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Jensen have you checked out other MX or SM bikes? The approach to fit and finish is a lot different than street bikes - aluminum bits are usually bare and paint is usually not used at all or only for steel frame bits and sometimes engine cases. Bodywork is usually plastic that's the same color all the way though. You don't end up with a super shiny waxed-paint like surface but they are quite crash proof and flexable plus stay the same color even with big scratches. You can polish them up with a bit of armor-all or something to get them to shine fairly well, but it still won't be quite like a good paint job over steel or hard plastic.

Anyway, I haven't seen an SVX in person so can't really comment on it specifically. I have seen 'bergs, husqvarna's and KTM's in person as well as all the stuff from Japan. They are all a bit different in approach but overall all are quite good. The euro companies tend to put a bit more effort into bars, chain and sprockets while the jap companies generally just put on stuff to allow it to be pushed around the showroom expecting the buyer to mount their favorite bend/style bars and their specific gearing and chain combo's although this is changing a bit (some of the jap bikes now come with real bars that might actually be useable).

Husqvarna's castings and overall fit and finish is probably the best I've seen on a MX style bike, although the differences are pretty minimal and can vary about as much from year to year as brand to brand - esp with yamaha. When the yen/dollar ratio goes up they tend to go really cheep on the finishing bits rather than raise the price or eat it. Haven't had enough suzuki's to say if the same is true of them - and best I can tell kawasaki and honda don't have major fit/finish changes from year to year.

As an example of yamaha's fluctuations my early 90's (great yen/$$ ratio from a jap exporter pov) my YZ125's had aluminum sub frames, plastic that fit perfectly, a well seald airbox and no steel spacers (the wheel spacers were all aluminum, the inner ones even machined out for weight savings - quite trick). In ~'96 the yen started to tank and by '97 my YZ125 had cheep looking steel spacers, crappy fitting plastics, airbox that fell apart, cheep rear shock (only MX shock I've ever blown and I blew it out twice) and a steel subframe for a 10lbs weight gain. By '01 the yen had pretty much recovered and the YZ125 was back with aluminum sub-frame, better shock, etc.

Note, I don't know for a fact that the exhange rate drove the quality differences, only noticed the corrilation and later read an article that stated as much in an MC mag.

Overall I really like the way husqvarna does things. They just have really nice finishes on the metal bits and add little touches like kickstands that work and don't flop down or add width to the bike, carbs that are generally easy to get at, fuel tanks that are large in capacity without being wide or weird shapes, zerk fittings for the suspension linkage and swing arm pivot etc:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts