TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how much the swingarm will travel just past the swingarm pivot point. How far will it come up is really what i'm after?

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Sorry, but you lost me there. What measurement is it you want?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Octofinger said:
Sorry, but you lost me there. What measurement is it you want?
the swingarm travels 3 to 4 vertical inches at the axle end how much does it travel closer to the pivot point like where the exhaust hole is?

How far will it come up from stationary at the exhaust hole which is very close to the actual pivot point when the suspension is fully compressed?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone have a guess? or a way to figure this out, i'm sure there is some equation to answer this!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
simple trig?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
measure the distances between the points you care about and the distance from those points to the ground and ill figure it for you

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now i'm lost, i was thinking i can just use a piece of wood the same length as the swingarm and check ROM that way, any idea what the TLS rear suspension travel is?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What are you trying to do back there Sully? I made up a stainless steel heat shield that sits in the area in the swingarm that the exhaust pipe goes through. From playing around in there I am sure that the swingarm moves up & down about an inch, maybe a little bit more in that section of the swingarm. My heat shield stays fixed & the swingarm moves up & down so I needed to figure out how much that part moved. A trick I used was to support the bike using a steel rod through the swingarm pivot to let the rear suspension extend all the way. I had removed the spring on a stick assembly & moved the Ohlins damper out of the way & then lifted the rear wheel up to see how much the travel was. I didn't record my results though...

FWIW I found out that all that time I used designing & fabricating that part was all for not as most of the heat the rear shock gets from that area is not how close it is to the rear exhaust pipe. It is mostly due to how close the exhaust pipe is to the hole in the swingarm where the exhaust pipe goes through. Unbelievable amount of heat radiates through the swingarm & flows to the shock body through the lower shock mount of my Ohlins rear damper! In all these years of owning this TLS I never noticed how hot the front part of the swingarm got until I played around with the heat shield...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Gerhard,
I am mounting the battery where the rotory damper used to be but the battery box i had made is quite large and hangs down below the cross brace on the frame, the bottom of the battery box is only about a 1.5" to 1.75" above the swingarm in the stationary posistion.

·
Registered
782 Posts
if the swingarm is connected at a single point (not very familiary with bikes yet), then the travel of the area you are looking at will be proportional to the distance difference... if the swingarm travels 4" at the end of it, and the swingarm is 2 feet long and you want to know how far it travels at 6" into the swingarm it will travel, (6"/24" = 1/4 .. so 4"*1/4 = 1")..this only works for vertical travel. (I only tried this with a few numbers using cos() to prove to myself the angle was the same for both triangles.)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
rear wheel travel is 128 mm if itsany use to your problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts