TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the Exoticycle swingarm extensions mounted on their bike? I am thinking about picking up a set and was wondering how the are liked or disliked?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
$350 is a bit pricey for swinger extensions. ive seen superbike mike units for closer to $200. planning on doing some drag racing with your TL?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like the look and since I got a new job(ie....money) and my little crash Friday...I want a little better traction. I dont do much track riding so I just thought I would try some. Keepup...if yours are still ok...shoot me a price, maybe we can help each other out.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Better traction from an extended swinger:dowhat I don't think it will improve anything other than making it a bit easier to keep the front wheel on the ground. It will place slightly more weight on the front end and less on the rear - not sure exactly what that will do in terms of traction, but I would expect the front to be just a tad more likely to push on corner entry and the rear a tad more likely to step out on corner exit.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
an extended swingarm put significantly more weight on the front wheel and will actually make it much easier to spin the rear. :yes you may want to ride someone elses bike before you spend all the money and time to find out you dont like how you bike rides with a long swinger. especially if your are going 4 plus inches... remember you will have to extend your rear brake lines and your chain to accommodate the extensions.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Better traction from an extended swinger:dowhat I don't think it will improve anything other than making it a bit easier to keep the front wheel on the ground. It will place slightly more weight on the front end and less on the rear - not sure exactly what that will do in terms of traction, but I would expect the front to be just a tad more likely to push on corner entry and the rear a tad more likely to step out on corner exit.
yeah, what he said.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:laugh Well its good to know I guessed right:D I've not ridden a street bike with an extended swinger - closest I've come is playing around with where in the stock swinger I run the axle (i.e. chain adjustment). On the TL I've found that for my purposes (mostly commuting) I like the wheel nearly all the way back in the adjustments, but then I'm used to MX bikes which tend to have longish wheelbases.

Just realized, you said crash on friday? What happend? Are you ok?

For traction, esp this time of year, focus on tires and suspension settings. Cold weather does increase the damping front and rear a bit which can lessen traction and it of course decreases tire grip. I find that different brand/model tires that are similar when hot can be drastically different when cold. Also, a bit lower tire pressure helps get a bit more grip in the cold as the tire will heat up more quickly and stay warmer, plus the larger contact patch and more ability to conform to the road surface helps too.

For the record I run AV45/46 (avon) tires and find them quite good in the cold compared to the other tires I've used (D207 = scary, M1 = slipery, but predictable, BT020 = average grip, not predictable, tends to skip rather than smootly slide). For commuting I run 40F 42R in the summer and 38F 40R winter pressure most of the time and they still stick quite well, but for more serious riding I'd drop that to 34F 36R give or take a couple psi.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes you will need a longer chain,brake line and braker bar I don't have one I use a bracket instead which holds the caliper. Riding wise it stuck to the road better and did very well on the track the only thing your not going to lean hard on cruze don't get me wrong you still can just not as low. Tommy send me your address and I will send you pics of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm fine...thanks...I was looking to get the front to stay down...It gets light. The weather is not a problem for me...its other drivers who dont use their eyes....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.