TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been redoing a bunch of things to the TL this year and a lot of bearings have been replaced. I had a local machine shop press in the needle bearings for my swingarm after powdercoting and they "set" the bearings all the way in against the inner lip and against the internal spacer. This looks right but when I took the bushings out of the old swinger to use with the new, the bearings are pressed in just til they are flush with the lip of the tube and there is a gap behind the bearing back to the inner lip where I would think that the bearing needed to "seat" against. I also don't have any thrust washers as shown in the exploded view from manual, just the large dust seals that go over the outside lip of the"pipe" for the pivot bolt. A: do I need the thrust washers? B: Do I worry about the placement of the bearing being more inboard in the tube? C: The space to the outside of the bearing looks like it would accommodate a dust seal that would fit inside the tube(like the wheel bearings), should I try to find or just pack it with grease? D: Did Suzuki do something from 97 to 98 that's not in the manual or did they just not feel the need for the washers with the bearings set flush and do I trash the new bearings and have a new set pressed flush(I did all the other bearings so far myself with the exception of the "needles" in the swingarm and the pogo stick linkage)? Thanks, Scott

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Well, my bearings are pretty much flush with the edges :) The thrust washers, I think you will find, are actually inside the big dust seals :confused

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone think that I need to worry about the location of the bearings in the tube of the swingarm, being inset in the tube instead of flush??????

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
You need to look at a service manual, I am at work and don't have access to one. It has detailed info as to how they should be, you ought to be able to adjust them if they are off a bit.
:coocoo

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Here you go Scott

The needle roller should be pressed in 10mm from the edge as shown below.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it appears that the chain side is inset 10 mm and the rear brake side is flush....I didn't pay much attention to the drawing in the manual. My old arm has both bearing flush(original out of my bike). Should I check specs to see if depth is right on the 1 and replace the other, I don't think I can heat it and "drift" it without damage to the bearing? I'll check inset when I get home this evening. Thanks for the input guys...Scott

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
fiche-man said:
Here you go Scott

The needle roller should be pressed in 10mm from the edge as shown below.

Do I remember things way wrong or doesn't the TL swingarm use needle bearings on both sides?
This fiche suggests double ball bearings on the right side. :O

·
15,415 Posts
The Right Hand Twin Bearings should press in tight up to the shoulder in the swingarm as that is the datum point to centralise the swingarm.

The L/H bearing should be pressed in approx 10mm to allow room for the oil seal.

The L/H Top Hat sleeve passes through the L/H bearing hence the bearing position not been too critical and tightens up against the inner sleeve.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Still, there's no ball bearings on the TLS swingarm. Unless it's only my -97 model that uses needle bearings on both sides. That fiche above cannot be from a TL.

IIRC I mounted both mine flush to the outer side as they were mounted when I took it apart. But then, I don't know who might have changed the bearings before me...

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Octofinger said:
Still, there's no ball bearings on the TLS swingarm. Unless it's only my -97 model that uses needle bearings on both sides. That fiche above cannot be from a TL....

You are right ........... and you are wrong :dowhat :laugh :laugh

The TLS does only have needle roller bearings :)

The fiche is for a TLR - which has needle rollers on the chain side, and caged balls on the other :)

·
15,415 Posts
Just realised TLZook's bike is a TLS !!

Got TLR's on the brain at the moment as I just fitted it's swingarm this week.

Will Dig out the TLS drawing later this morning................

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Yep, the TLS has definitely needle bearings on both sides.

Greetings
Rufer

·
15,415 Posts
Try this one :devious

Nothing particular about pressing the bearings in the manual, so I guess they must press up to a shoulder in the pivot tube.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
tls-moose said:
You are right ........... and you are wrong :dowhat :laugh :laugh

The TLS does only have needle roller bearings :)

The fiche is for a TLR - which has needle rollers on the chain side, and caged balls on the other :)
Thanks Moose.
I replaced mine this spring and I shouldn't have forgotten such a thing! :laugh

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after thinking about it I don't see a problem with the needle bearings being inboard 10mm so I ordered some oil seals the correct inside and outside diameter so that the swingarm pivot spacers can ride in the oilseal and I can pack some additional grease into the tube. 30x40x9mm. The spacers are 10mm longer than the needle bearings so the seal lip should just catch the edge of the spacer. Thrust washer and outside dust seal as well...Does anyone see a problem...Speak now or forever hold your peace...If I have a swingarm failure I'll just imagine that I'm riding one of those "hardtail" Hardley-Davidians, sell the Penske and Ziggy's RHA, and weld it solid...HA HA!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts

Needle roller outer cages are of a small height dimension.
The gap behind the needle roller cage is for bearing removal using a split end slide hammer (same tool for removing bearings from blind holes..ie.. gearboxs)

The rear pivot relies on the innner spacer tube and two needle roller sleeves locked up as a unit.
The swingarm itself simply pivots on that assembly.
Moving the needle roller cages inboard reduces side load bearing ability. (marginally)
No different to a baseball bat being held at the outer ends while someome else tries to twist it with their hands side by side in the middle.They would get more leverage as they move their hands outward.
The hardened 1mm outer shims under the dust caps would normally bare against the needle cage pressed flush and the swingarm tube face to take actual side thrust... or something like that.

If the cages are pressed all the way in it might be interesting come time for removal.
I'm sure the swingarm will not fall off as is.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
TLDV8 said:
I'm sure the swingarm will not fall off as is.
That's kind of a releif, isn't it? :devious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts