·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the road trip with alex to germany which was cool as fook :devious
i notice my bike wasnt getting up to temp
i'm told that the map changes at 75~80*C
mines was running at 65 where as alex was about 85 so i'm running the cold map
so when i rang suzuki in leicester they say there is two sets of plugs ngk cr8e or cr8ek so does one work at a hotter temp?
then theres the thermostat there also two of these too i take it i have the cooler one and alex has the hotter one
so which do i need can anyone supply part numbers

the bike is a tls 98 r plate
has the thermostat mod, late water pump housing and running with a k1 ecm

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Where is the temp sensor? It has to go into the thermostat housing!! If you leave it in the cooler (left side), it will never work as expected in cooler temps.
PS: The 98 came with the whole upgraded cooling system, so I guess yours is a 97 sold in 1998.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
cr8e or cr8ek
The number denotes the heat range . the C is the thread size the r is a resistor plug (it has a suppressor in it for the computer) the E is the length the K is the electrode style.
lower numbers are hotter.
the electrode style can influence the heat or flame path but is not really significant in the bigger picture. G denotes a wider heat range centre insulator so it spreads the heat range say from 7.5 to 8.5 taher than just 8.
plugs are not really significant in the engine temp of a water cooled engine just the cylinder temp. the cooling system is well capable of dealing with any heat generated.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
keep your plugs in unless they need changing . . just get the hotter thermastat . . :)

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
jamie i will look tomorow im changing mine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
mine runs at 80-85

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I did the temp sensor mod on my '97, using a later model thermostat and it still ran cold. I put in a V-Strom t.stat (rated at 87C, whereas the TLS one is 82C) and it sits between 82 and 85C no matter how hot or cold the weather is, and how hard I ride her. There is nothing more frustrating than a TLS that runs cold - it eats plugs and gets lousy fuel economy.

From memory the 8's (plugs) are for TLS's, and the 9's are for TLR's. Stick with the 8's.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
btw

the K suffix on the plug means it has a double earth electrode and a protruding centre electrode.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
What Stu said, the 8's are hotter than the 9's, but it's plug temperature - the plug can run hotter by dissipating less heat to the head via the insulator, colder ones dissipate more head into the head.

Plug temperature is to do with self cleaning and the ability to burn off combustion junk. It's not going to affect the temperature of the coolant. If it did a hotter plug would make the coolant cooler because it's shedding less heat into it :confused :laugh

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
jamie my plugs are the same as yours

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorted dudes gonna go for DL thermostat and the 8's plugs so will write up with want happens.

so it looks like the plugs are fook because i'm running the wrong stat

so tl zone sorts me out again:hail:hail:hail

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The strange thing is Jamie we were about the same on mpg, i was getting around 130 miles to tank roughly the same as you and considering our speed on the autobann's i was happy with that, so even though yours was running alot cooler you was still getting good mpg:confused

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My 97 ran cold for ages with no symptoms, just the stat stuck open. I'd change that, or test it at least.

then did the 98 housing/sensor relaocation but nothing else, and constant 82, even in this temp. Nor did the eccomny change either.

My K6 is running low 70's, plugs though are perfect.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
That reminds me that I had a stuck open (or partially stuck open) thermostat on my 98 TLS. On some days, the thing would not warm up (65-75° C water temp). I removed the thermostat and in boiling water it worked perfect.
Replaced it anyway and everything is fine. Temp is now around 85° C shortly after startup.

Greetings
Rufer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts