TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I’ve been riding a lot of years I’ve never really tampered with the standard settings on my suspension.
I have a completely standard suspension set up (as it left the factory, all standard parts, all standard settings (according to owner’s manual)) when I first got the bike it was set up really soft both back and front now I assume that the guy who owned the bike before spent a lot of time with her in doors on the back and neither of them was a “feather weight” and a comfortable ride was required.

Now as I said I’m a complete novice at this stuff so I’ll give all the details many of which are probably irrelevant.
I am 15 stone give or take a few pounds, I’m top heavy (32-34” waist 48-50” chest) and 5’8” tall. Should I set up the suspension and preload etc to a firmer setting to account for my weight? Also I do tend to ride quite hard, I don’t like cruising!! So would a firmer ride be more advantageous?

Thanks in advance

Work done so far;

Custom exhaust (not TLR)
Power commander 3
K&N filter
Gear indicator with built in TRE
Braided hoses
6 pot callipers
Custom rear foot pegs
Fairing lowers
LED Indicators
Paint job
Loads of other small things

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
For this Google can be your friend even YouTube, there's plenty of set up info to be found,some good instruction videos on YouTube

·
Registered
233 Posts
I upgraded my '97 TLS as follows: Bitubo rear shock ($550 USD) and Race Tech .95 Kg front springs with #5 fork oil and have found it a significant upgrade, if not a little on the stiff side for 'cruising'. There are a lot of TL owners who fit GIXER & 'Busa front ends on their bikes with little mods.

Best of luck with your TL.

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Or save a fortune and fit a r1 damper in place of the rotary,and ask tls-ged if he's still got his gsxr forks for sale

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or save a fortune and fit a r1 damper in place of the rotary,and ask tls-ged if he's still got his gsxr forks for sale

Is any R1 damper ok to fit or do I need a specific year? is it a straight swap or do I need additional brackets or fixtures??

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Possibly but only been down twice this year due to the appalling weather
Yeah, its been proper crap this year hasn't it.
Have a look at http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

That will give you some pointers. I have some pdf's at home on suspension setup, I will try and find them for you. I think MH Racing in Chippenham used to tell you the exact settings for your weight for about 15 quid, but I couldn't find that on their website

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeez just looked at that web site, its pretty involved. OK, I earn good money so where can I get someone else to set my bike up for me, either North Wales or North West generally? I am not sure my local Suzuki dealer is trust worthy enough to do it (many of the repairs etc they have done on my bike have been botched).

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
If you search for member adstl on here,he's doing the brackets
And for the r1 damper you need a 04-08 or you can use a 98-03 r6 shock like I've done,there's a few people done this mod now,there's a few threads on the subject of rear suspension, if you wanted to go for a full sprung shock you can get a Ducati 1098 shock shortened and re sprung and fit one of them, but you'd need the gap mod done

·
Registered
463 Posts
if north west is good for you give kais a ring they're in atherton near leigh they did my forks for me that and a maxton rear shock (i think theres one on ebay at present) sorted the bike out its planted everywhere now and i like yourself ride quite hard

website http://www.kais-performance.com/

phone 01942 896366

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so options are, buy an Ohlins with all brackets etc or buy an 04 onwards R1 damper and get brackets made up?

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Nope..........

You can get a Bitubo which replaces the SOAS and the rotary dumper.....or....... get a Hagon shock, White Power (rarer than rockin' horse poo!) and there's another couple of brands that I can't remember :laugh

All depends on how deep your pockets are....

·
Registered
22 Posts
hello what you need to do is take it to kais and they do a ride in ride out 01942896366 even on saturdays ,I put a bitoubo rear shocker(ebay) on and then took it to kais for new springs and setting up,very diffrent bike and worth the money

·
Registered
11,029 Posts
Wilbers is around £650
GubellinI is around £500
They both replace the tls rear suspension
Hagon and ohlins just replace the damper you're looking at £300 - £800
Or go the R1 damper route and get it all done for £60

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for your help guys, I will keep you all up to date as to the route taken.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts