TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my GSXR track bike out to the track on the weekend.

Its the first time out on track since its rebuild and I need to know where to start as a benchmark for the suspension settings.

Any track day gurus here know where to start?

FYI I have an 02 GSXR 750 Showa front end and stock rear (for now), so give me the settings for a 750 if need be.

Here she is:

:thumbup

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What is the track like? Is the surface very abrasive but not bumpy? Or is the surface fairly smooth but there are bumps? Is the track high speed/fast, medium speed, slow? Flowing or stop & go? A combination of those? Is it going to be very hot out there on that day? That stuff should be taken into consideration when doing an evaluation. No, I'm not a suspension guru but know what a good suspension feels like & how to do an evaluation.

I did a write up on how to test & set up your individual bike's compression & rebound damping after setting the rider's sag. Don't remember if the mods put a sticky on it or not...

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your attention Dob.

The track is short, reliance heavily on braking. Fast in sections but some bumps into turns. Alot of off-camber left-handers and bumpy right-handers. This track is a real test ofr your braking markers, so I will be braking hard.

I'm not looking for a setting that'll get me going for the day. I'm going to dial in the suspension myself, however I would like a starting point or benchmark to start with, something neutral.

I know there was a website I found one time with recommended track settings for particular bikes (which I was going to use for the 'benchmark' only), but I can't seem to find it now.

Did PB or Fast Bikes do something in their mags as a regular feature?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ... and I'm running Pilot Powers front and rear, I'm guessing at 32 front 31 rear, but I'll ask for advice on the day.

:)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
here is the link... very good info :hail

Clicky

The long read is on page two.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ruby,
Read that post I put up in the thread NineDV linked to (thanks NineDV) which will get you a decent set up point. The fine tuning stuff that another member posted will help out to troubleshoot when you are out there riding. Definitely print it out & take it along. If temps get very, very hot you want to loosen up everything (spring preload, comp & rebound damping). If the track is really bumpy you want to stay on the looser side rebound wise & a little less compression wise but leave spring preload alone or even go a little stiffer if you are getting close to bottoming out. This tuning guideline works as well with stop & go racetracks - that's nice. My current "home track" is the California Speedway that has several chicanes & heavy braking zones comined with hard acceleration zones - a stop & go track. It is pretty smooth though so I run rebound pretty close to maximum. When I ride other bumpy tracks in the area I back off rebound a little bit right off & see how it reacts. Since I like running with just a little comp damping I usually end up leaving that setting alone & it works. You will find the bike will wallow front end wise through faster turns that are bumpy if you have too much rebound damping dialed in up front.

-

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
stu m.........................

are those settings for general use or UK? bit diff' from the ones that P.B use thats all...

for a '97 Tillis that is:)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Toledo said:
stu m.........................

are those settings for general use or UK? bit diff' from the ones that P.B use thats all...

for a '97 Tillis that is:)

they are just suggested settings that they have come up with after a bit of testing

ive never tried any of them my self so dont know what they will be like

although for the 99 gsxr 600 they where almost the same as what i was using and it stuck to the road like glue

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu, thanks for the link. Thats the exact link I saw some time ago and lost. :laugh

Dob, yep Mallala is a stop and go kinda track. I've got the bike 'benchmarked' for now and I've got all my printouts (as advised) and I'm taking them along, as well as recording all benchmarks and changes to settings. I'll fine tune it as I go, but this way has probably saved me at least one session is f*cking around.

Bike is loaded on the trailer and ready to go first thing in the morning. :banana

Will take lotsa pics and I'll be scratching those pucks :devious

Ruby

:)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Got my GSXR1000 & gear loaded up as well & ready to go. Three days at the California Speedway, AMA Configuration. Unfortunately there is rain in the area which means it will be a messy morning. I will be good & tired & probably sore come Monday evening. Have fun out there & tell us how it went, eh?

I had a front end chatter problem when we were at that track a few weeks ago. Only under very heavy braking down the back straight where you get up to about 140 mph or so then brake down to around 20 mph for a right/left chicane. I'm using Brake Tech rotors & their full race compound pads & this chatter stuff is something new for me. But I have finally got to the point where I am really braking hard & somewhat late on that bike & something is up. Pulled the brake pads out & they look fine, but the fork oil in those LE revalved forks is almost 2 years old :^(. Will run it by Race Tech Randy for his input in the morning. Always something new to learn...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts