TLZone Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set up my preload a while back front & rear ... getting the wife to read a tape measure is like trying to stop a cooling fan with your dick :rolleyes however now that's done I'm struggling with the other settings though. Well ok that's not true - what I'm struggling with is getting a feel I like.

I tried all the 'set by how it feels' methods, then tried the 'this is what I use' settings ...

Biggest problem is - I need a noticeable amount of opposite lock push on the bars - ie. in a RH corner I'm pushing the RH bar out to stop the steering coming under. Unless I'm going mental, hard on the gas through the corner & hanging off like a Klingon - then it's fine. Which is kinda hard to do in town :hmm hence my problem.

Also seems twitchy in the corners ie. changes lines real easy during cornering but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Tips in fine although really likes wieght through the pedals ...

Well, if you can understand that, I'll take your practical, real world suggestions on the TL please :D Hand 'em over!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Rear may be too high, or forks up in the triples too far.

Stock fork out of triple is 6.25 mm.

Rear preload may be too high. Set front sag about 35 mm and try rear at 30-35 mm. What are your current sag settings.

What sort of mods to suspension?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No mods to suspension - and I know the spring rate will be wrong cos I'm too heavy for them :)

Havent adjusted the ride hieght so if the geometry is out it'll be down to the preload. I've noticed that moving myself right up into the tank that it's more stable so I thought perhaps the front was too 'tall' or hard or something ...

I wont be able to measure sag as the wife has gone to Singapore for 9 days & there's noone to measure it for me :laugh I seem to remember we set it to 30mm ... or tried to :)

So I'll give it a bit less front preload then? And what do you recommend for rear CD & RD?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The reason why comp damping & rebound damping recommended settings suggestions don't work is that your bike's suspension is in a different state of deterioration than any other bike. Especially when you are talking about bike's that are 4 years old or older. Given that you should then be able to bounce a bike's suspension & tell if the particular bike needs more or less comp & rebound dialed in. That I can kind of feel but what to dial in or out really depends on what riding you do. So what type of riding do usually do?

I agree with TLSDoug that it sounds like you have too much front spring preload dialed in. But how much tire pressure are you running up front. I recommend you bother a friend & have them do the suspension measurements & feed them a few cool drinks as payment when you are done adjusting the rider's sag. When was the last time you changed the fork oil & how many miles are on your bike? That can give us clues (along with an accurate measurement of the current rider's sag) to what is going on.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...Mr Dobalina, I need to get you on a MAC flight:devious...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fork oil? Never :laugh miles? I think about 40,000km ... cant remember the tyre pressure.

My riding is usually communting : *sigh* with a weekly spank through the mountains ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts