TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I noticed the dreaded headlight flicker at idle that seems to be the forewarning of rectifier damage if left unchecked. Since the day I bought my bike, it has had occasional surging problems between 3k and 4k rpms, and a very twitchy throttle in the same range. The surging has been bad enough to concern me in regard to wet-weather riding as I am certain it would break the back tire loose on wet pavement - two seemingly unrelated issues. My plan was to get it in to have the throttle bodies synched and the TPS adjusted before the rain came in hopes of correcting the surge problem. This afternoon, I did the charging system mod and have immediately noted some changes in the power delivery characteristics of the bike.

The first ride after the mod was a half hour ride home from a friend's house where I did the mod and within about twenty minutes, the power delivery seemed somehow improved, especially in 1st and 2nd gears. Upon arriving home, I let the bike cool off for an hour, and hit the starter which now sounds like a jet engine and fires the bike almost instantly instead of the usual two or three seconds of slow cranking. I took the bike out for another test ride, this time on surface streets where the surge problem has always been there, and no surging occurred at all in almost an hour of stop-and-go riding.

Battery voltage before the mod was 12.24v, and the battery is a little more than six months old, clean and without corrosion. Output from the charging system at idle was 13.02v and dropped to 12.81v at 4k rpm. I know 12.6v standing voltage is what shows a "fully-charged" battery, so the charging system wasn't keeping the battery full to begin with. New voltages are 12.62 at the battery an hour after shutting the engine off, 13.90 at idle, and 13.98 at 4k.

My question is, has anyone else had similar experiences with the surging issue or smooth power delivery in 1st and 2nd that were corrected or altered after doing the charging system mod, or do I need to put the crack pipe down, and back away sloooowwwwwlyyyy? lol Faster starting and cranking was expected, but how would the charging and battery voltages have such a dramatic impact on power delivery and surging?

:cheers

·
Registered
592 Posts
[snip] The surging has been bad enough to concern me in regard to wet-weather riding as I am certain it would break the back tire loose on wet pavement - two seemingly unrelated issues.[snip] before the rain came in hopes of correcting the surge problem. [snip] or do I need to put the crack pipe down, and back away sloooowwwwwlyyyy? lol [snip]

:cheers
Yes, please put down the pipe....there's no rain coming around here....:lol

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I absolutely came to the same conclusion.

The low output before was starving the coils. I did the coil plus mod too and have a much much cleaner idle and low end...

·
Registered
592 Posts
I didn't do the charge mod until about a year after having mine back on the road. The changes I made when I got it going again were enough to "fix" any issues I may have had 7 years earlier...(Full M4 to fix exhaust leaks, new plugs, vacuum hoses, fuel pump, + mod, re-located battery with much larger cables, headlight relay mod....) so doing the charge mod this past spring....I didn't notice a change.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Another upgrade you can make is S.V. coils - when I installed these I tried them first without the +mod. I found no real difference when I did hook it up again....keep on top of your plugs too - despite some healthy debate, I find Irridium plugs pay for themselves by lasting years rather than months, though the hotter spark, efficient charging, better fueling and various electrickery I've done in conjuction with changing to the pointy ones may be clouding the issue...!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol bv203, yeah, I know we ain't getting any rain, but still, I might run through a puddle at the wrong time out in front of the road at The State Capitol building when they leave the sprinklers run for three days... Again! lol

rxf610 The one single mod made a serious difference. I have discovered I still have some surge, though significantly less, and only when the bike isn't all the way warm yet. Think it's probably the ECM switching between hot and cold maps on the FI. But as soon as the stat tops 183, there is so little surging that it's something you have to really look for just to notice.

[email protected] I'm convinced the mod actually made that much difference, even though I was only just starting to see the dreaded headlight flicker. I just wrote it off to the oft-discussed Suzuki FI surge problem and figured when I got it in to balance the throttle bodies and adjust the TPS it would at least lessen it. Damned glad I made the mod because now I don't have to leave my bike at the dealership all day while it's still good weather! lol

TLJimmy Good information, brother. I'll keep that in mind for future mods reference!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts