TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a very nice (most of the time) TL 1000 S Oct 97 model. The problem is that she keeps dropping below the dreaded 82 deg C mark and degenerates into this horrible lurching, jerking surging thing!! I checked out the thermo situation after a Suzuki dude said that if she was Oct 97, it might be a 98? All the parts were already on the bike that were reccommended here. SO whats the next move?? Check the TPS I assume? I have already had the throttle synchs checked, along with the valve clearences...I was sus of the cam chains, but it only happens when the temp drops below 82 deg celcius. Is it viable to source another computer, Is it only the 'cold' map that runs shit?? It has Yoshi pipes...standard headers and air filter...umm, would the gear retarder thingy fix it?? If another pooter, than which ones fit?? I do love the motor when all is happy, I feel alot of potential is lurking there, and unlike my Ducati ST4S, it starts every time!!Any (good) advice will be helpful.
Darren
NSW Orstraylia.:confused

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Mine runs cold all the time, hasn't stumbled one bit since I put a PCII on it 7 years ago. 97's aren't retarded.

You are just experiencing the lean, factory tuning...just richen it up. I started with a static Yosh box remap, helped quite a bit...but the pcII cured it completely.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Getting the fueling set right is certainly a good thing to do, but its also a good idea to update the cooling system so it stays on the warm map. You'll find your fueling stays much more consistent and you won't be as likely to get fuel in the oil.

There are two basic items that usually need attention. The first is the temp sender location. On '97 bikes it was in the rad which is of course cooler than the motor. Later bikes had it in the thermostat housing. All you need to do is buy a 98+ model T-stat housing and thread your sensor into that, then re-route the wireing to it (it will reach just fine)

The second issue is the coolant bypass. On '97 models some coolant flows through the rad all the time. In cold weather this is enough to make the bike run too cold, but its necessary that coolant circulates to prevent hot spots in the motor. On '98 models there is a rad-bypass hose to allow coolant to circulate through the motor without going through the rad. To update your bike to this spec you'll need a '98 water pump cover and a section of rubber hose. Connect the extra outlet on the waterpump cover to the extra barb on the '98+ thermostat housing. Also, install a 98+ thermostat or one out of a cage - there's a few that fit.

Stock my bike would not maintain temp unless it was really warm outside. Now it maintains temp even in the snow! Also, I no longer get fuel in my oil and I get much better fuel economy.

have fun

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
:) Mine runs at 74 Deg C , I dont have any problems or worries :O :)

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i've been having the same problem all year. really hard to ride smoothly below40 mph. slowly working through the whole bike to try and solve it. lc boy spoke to one of the dudes from suzuki about it. he advised giving it a very presice tune up. tbs, tps valves ...etc. personally i think it could be a bad sensor..... maybe tps.... will let u know when it's fixed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have the same issues with mine when it drops under 82 after I got a PC2 the problem is a little better but I have yet to have a custom map done for it. I only have problems with the surging when I'm trying to keep the throttle at a constant 80km/h and the revs are around 3k.

It'll be summer soon and then you won't ever see it go under 86C problem solved. :laugh

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Just so wierd there are so many different experiences with this stuff. Mine usually runs cool, no updated cooling parts and runs as smooth as butter after the PCII install...but clearly not every TL is alike.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
i'd hazard a guess that as our bikes get older,some of the sensors start to wear out and give slightly out of sync readings. so the ecu maybe gets a little confused.:O

1 - 8 of 8 Posts