TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had the Tiller for a year now, and I'm dyin for for a more custom look and updated tech...

So currently in the research phase...and looking for a few solid answers before parts are purchased...

I found that Buell and no-name chinese companies are only producers of a sealed projector unit about the size of a fist. Yeah, I know, Buell sucks...same as chinese crap tho.

Voltage/watts/amperes
1) Both will have to be low beam separate from high beam (no H4's here) units, so do I go with 2 or 4 bulbs?

2) If 4, will the factory charging system handle this? What bulbs? (Don't want to modify fuses or fry the charging system)

3) How much heat do projectors generate? More than stock H4's?

Construction
If it's external; http://image.sportrider.com/f/bikes/8591111+pinline_medium/146_0104_1zoom+suzuki_tl1000r+front.jpg it'll be fiberglass
If interal (http://media.photobucket.com/image/tl1000r projector/r4lly/tlheadlight.jpg)
4) What kind of plastic is the factory headlight housing made of? (please be ABS)

5) What glue or epoxy will bond to the factory plastic housing?

6) Will black automotive window sealant work well to bond a clear headlight cover in place of the factory lens? (Don't want ugly silicone mess)

7) Any other options for donor projector units that the factory charging system can handle?

8) Who's got an old headlight layin around I can buy?

When the build begins, I'll post the step-by-step.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
use the search button . a few including ITSMESTEVE (oz)have done this. and ALEX????? can't remember the rest in the UK and bimati (?) in the US.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
use the search button . a few including ITSMESTEVE (oz)have done this. and ALEX????? can't remember the rest in the UK and bimati (?) in the US.
Thank, dude. Searched already, and those questions above were not answered.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Voltage/watts/amperes
1) Both will have to be low beam separate from high beam (no H4's here) units, so do I go with 2 or 4 bulbs?

Go 2 and go HID - you don't need high beams

2) If 4, will the factory charging system handle this? What bulbs? (Don't want to modify fuses or fry the charging system)

Handles the HID's perfectly

3) How much heat do projectors generate? More than stock H4's?

Don't know

Construction
If it's external; http://image.sportrider.com/f/bikes/8591111+pinline_medium/146_0104_1zoom+suzuki_tl1000r+front.jpg it'll be fiberglass
If interal (http://media.photobucket.com/image/tl1000r projector/r4lly/tlheadlight.jpg)
4) What kind of plastic is the factory headlight housing made of? (please be ABS)

ABS5) What glue or epoxy will bond to the factory plastic housing?

I used permatex epoxy - been waterproof for 3ish years now

6) Will black automotive window sealant work well to bond a clear headlight cover in place of the factory lens? (Don't want ugly silicone mess)

Whatever sealant you use, use black. I used clear and have a noticable edge

7) Any other options for donor projector units that the factory charging system can handle?

Any projector that uses a car headlight will work H1, H7 (mine), H4, etc

8) Who's got an old headlight layin around I can buy?

When the build begins, I'll post the step-by-step.

·
Registered
79 Posts
btw, I just bought an old headlight for the same reason but haven't started yet.. post some step-by-step's and I might just follow along.. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just purcahsed a set of HIDs from Navanman. Afeter looking over the ballasts and control boxes, I think I'm gonna forgo the HIDs and stick with filament Xenons and projector lenses. My thoughts in the ballasts; big & bulky, heavy, may fry the charging system.

I really got my heart set on 4 eyes rather than 2. So, 2 sets of 2 lights molded close together fits the bill.

After some research, it looks like Caddilac STS '05-07 headlights, and Yamaha R6 '03-05 are good donor units to start with. Cadillac will need the shutter turned 45 degrees for low beam.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
the R6 setup is only 2 bulbs...one side is low the other high, and each "pair" of projectors is actually one unit...think of a Y-pipe, with the lenses at the top ends of the Y and the bulb at the bottom

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
231 Posts
So you had to heat the clear lens up and bend it into shape?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ahh yeah found it.. Tks

·
Registered
580 Posts
I used silicone to hold my lens on at first. It was not strong enough and eventually started coming off. I used E6000. I still had some air bubbles though. What I ended up doing was painting ~1/4" border around the outside of the lens. It covers up any air pockets and finishes off the light very nice.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
keep it going...I can not wait to see them installed

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Still looking for a factory headlight to work on.

I got a spare set of the HID projectors everyone's using in thier conversions on top of the R6 lights I'm using.

This in mind, I propose to anyone with a factory headlight spare....Sell it to me on the cheap. I'll mod it to fit my bike with my 4 projector deal. I'll mod my headlight with the HID projector kit I have sitting on my dining room table, and make ya a smokin deal in return. All you will need is a clear lens and to mount the ballasts on your bike.

I can't afford bike down-time. It's my daily driver.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...looks like it will be a great project:thumbup

1 - 20 of 42 Posts