TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Its been done once before, but I've not found any info other than pics (they've been posted here a buch though so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them). The one bike was done in japan and used what look to have been late 90's YZ fork and swingarm with CR plastics.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
That looks fantastic

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Oh I forgot all about that:hail

Still can't read a word of it though:laugh

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
WTF?:confused

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
spam I think

·
Registered
132 Posts
i want one!!!!:devious very nicely done

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
I'm one up on you then BP - I can about 3 words :laugh

IMO do what Sam et al did - upright bars on a TLS ...

any chance getting someone over there to translate it with pen to paper/pdf for us :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
What do you want to know? I can read all the names of the bike bits, but the rest of what they did is self-explanatory I think ... the rest is just a ride report of the day the photos were taken ...

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts
What do you want to know? I can read all the names of the bike bits, but the rest of what they did is self-explanatory I think ... the rest is just a ride report of the day the photos were taken ...
i was thinking mainly for everyone interested in this.
what names of the bike bits & the setting up/build up if any info :O

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Page 7 in the .pdf.
Fromtop left corner around in a circle ...

Exhaust
Custom by EXTEC Asahina Racing aluminum muffler, stainless headers & stays

Off-road plastic parts and seat

YZ250 rear fender, number plate, side cover, fork sliders by UFO
CRF radiator shroud by UFO with decals by Metal Mullisha
UFO Motard Front fender
YZ250 seat (base modified for the ECU, battery etc)

Steering
Posh Special handlebars
YZ250 standard top triple
YZ250 stem pressed into TL lower triple (I think)
Magnum aluminum bash gaurd
YZ250 front forks cut 35mm and using YZ426 0.47kg/mm springs at 35mm preload, 10wt fork oil with oil level 20mm up

Tail unit
YZ250 seat rail
One-off battery cover and base for a 250cc bike battery
Custom 5L aluminum fuel tank (under the seat at the back)
Top radiator from an NC30 and left half from YZ250 (?)

Rearsets
Custom peg mounting plate
YZ250 pegs, rear brake and master cylinder
TL shift lever modded with a collapsable knob

Front end
Berringer (sp?) rotor, 6-pot caliper and radial master for YZ
YZ hub and RK Excell 3.50x17 front wheel
Dunlop Rain (?) 120/70-17 and Dunlop D605 4.60-17 for the gravel heat

Swingarm
TL and YZ hybrid ...
YZ250 rear link - rotary damper was dumped, can't understand the bit about the shock but they used one A7N0 link maybe ...
TL pivot and YZ swingarm
YZ250 shock with a spring from a YZ450 (5.6kg/mm)

Rear end
YZ rear brake
Road heat wheel is YZ hub and RK Excell rim 5.50-17 with hand-cut Dunlop slick 165/55
Gravel heat wheel is YZ standard 2.15-19 with Dunlop D707 110/90-19

The picture in the middle of the motard, above the OE TL, was the design concept. Specs for the TL.

What I can gather from the main article body on page 7 ...
It seems the guy saw the TL in a scrap yard and got thinking about making a 'tard. People said he was an big idiot, but he had the assistance of 3 friends so he went for it.
The style is very lovely (wank wank) and with the YZ parts they got a long stroke suspension. The seat is lovely too (typical Japanese crap journalism - I'm surprised they didn't ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up :rolleyes ) and it seems the seat hieght is 100cm.
Can't understand the last paragraph ...

The main article is a ride report of the 3 days racing, it would seem, including the problems in handling and how they tried to sort it. But it was fun :rolleyes
They mention 0.8kg/mm springs in the front and 8-9kg/mm spring on the shock - maybe their reccomendations?
They want to sell the bike for 1,000,000yen (about USS$10,000 these days) ...

Keep in mind that I can't converse fully with kids at elementary school unless I'm fully aware of what they're talking about :laugh I'm looking at the kanji and stuff I do understand and making guesses ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
And here is thought I was just the tardiest of them all trying to do this. Not to far off for a stab in the dark so I can have a desert toy. Here is where I am at so far. Had some spare TLR parts laying around and picked up a YZ front end. I had the TL spindle pressed into the YZ triples allowing it to bolt on. As for the rear... this is where its starts to get a bit complicated and show my tardiness. Keep in mind I am in Southern California and the bike is primarily for sand dune use and is a dakar(ish) project, so I am calling it. The rear end is starting with a streched TLR swingarm using a Banshee rear shock. Looking for a 5.5" GSXR wheel for a 150/70/17 dual sport and having SKAT TRAK make me a paddle out of a 190/55/17 for the dunes. The bodywork plan is to stop in to AIRTECH since they are local and try to fit up a KTM enduro type bodywork. Sorry for the big tease but the swingarm is out at the fabricator and I just had a lowside on my daily so that is turning into a racebike rebuild... Did I meantion I am a little tardy?? lol I will get picks as soon as I can, could be a couple months as I am not rushing my fabricator at all. I am looking at april(ish) for a completion time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
-+
MX bike with big heavy engine in = CRAP!

If you want a supermoto with loads of power then buy a husaberg FS650 the things wheelie off the power in 4th gear! I would know this as I had one shortly before getting the TLR as I fancied doing some mileage again.

Trying to ride a moto with over 100bhp and nearly 90ftlbs of torque would just be silly, would handle really badly on the dirt too imo

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
-+
MX bike with big heavy engine in = CRAP!

If you want a supermoto with loads of power then buy a husaberg FS650 the things wheelie off the power in 4th gear! I would know this as I had one shortly before getting the TLR as I fancied doing some mileage again.

Trying to ride a moto with over 100bhp and nearly 90ftlbs of torque would just be silly, would handle really badly on the dirt too imo
...guess you've never see the KTM superduke or the Ducatti Hypermoto:O

1 - 20 of 60 Posts