1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
HELL YEA! I saw one of those at our last track day that some CMRA guy was running on the track. I had to change my shorts everytime he rode it by. I don't think his was a 550 though...most likely a 250, but either way...HELL YEA!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a more or less one-off made out of a 550cc two stroke single and a honda NSR250.

$5800 and would match your dirt bike very nicely:devious

·
14,150 Posts
I just got done reading the post...wonder if he'll take a gixxer in trade? :laugh

·
Registered
433 Posts
awesome, I didn't know its a NSR until someone mention it, its a NC16? very first PGMx?

it will be perfect if he fits the RVF400R(NC35) frontend onto it, it will looks so much better with a inverted fork instead of that skinny thing.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
I saw something like that on a trackday here but it was an ktm 660 engine in a 250 chassie with dubble termignoni seatpipes :hail 104kg wet and 70rwhp :thumbup

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess peak power output should be about what a really good running 250cc two stroke twin would be, but the power curve would be flatter and it would peak at a much lower rpm. I guess it would hook up better too from big bang effect (and I can verify that a 500+ cc two stroke single has some very big bangs!).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
i found a picture for the spank bank:D DOOL!!!!!

i had a buddy that was stationed in japan who had an NSR and imported it here it was all street legal, he asked me if i wanted to trade my TL for it back when i first bought it and i passed him up cuz i didnt wanna drive to cali and get it...............but i would love a 500 2 stroke some day!!!!!!!

·
14,150 Posts
Such a pretty bike, with all the details taken care of....except for that nasty ass shifter. :coocoo

And the turkey pan belly pan! :rotfl

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
In Holland someone built a RGV250 with an 800cc suzuki DR engine..:devious And some people mod their 125cc mito into a 350cc twin cilinder (rd) bike. There even was a guy in the UK which put a cr500 engine in a moped.. but he got killed by it..:confused

If you really want to make something cool you have to built an rd500 (4 cil 2 stroke) with new type cilinders. That would should make 140bhp easy!:devious

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The only downside I can think of is the paint shaker vibration.

I saw a similar project awhile ago, the guy took a YZ450 engine and put it in a TZ 250 chassis. If you go nuts modifying it, you wind up with mid 60's hp and of course the awesome traction of a thumper. That would be my dream track day bike :hail

I remember those KTM 550 smokers. They were real popular with the SoCal hillclimb crowd for obvious reasons. They would line up on the big hills at Jawbone with their extended swingarms and let 'em eat, right up the side of a freakin' huge mountain. This is nothing like the Widowmaker or other competetive hillclimbs. Not as steep perhaps, but it goes forever, with something like a 2,000 foot elevation change. The temperature at the top is noticibly cooler than the desert floor below :coocoo

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it would shake a tad, I know my CR500's weren't the smoothest running things around, but at least the vibs are pretty low frequency with only one piston and it bobing up and down pretty slowly (I don't think a 500 spins much over 7k rpm)

·
5,503 Posts
A CR500 is a paragon of smoothness compared to a KTM 550 though :laugh I briefly rode one. Short shifting and skyshot gearing are your friends. What a rude beast!

Open class two strokes may be unwieldy on a track, but they were the ticket for the SoCal dez back in the day before modern thumpers arrived. I sure loved mine :)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I had fun on a CR500 in west texas - actually blew up a piston (like exploded into a zillion little parts) there. Only bike I've ever really broke a so called bullet proof, low hours CR500 so it was back to the YZ80 for the rest of the trip:banghead

I also played around on my Dad's CR500 in the dunes in UT but perfered my KX250 as the suspension was much better and it had a paddle tire on the back that almost made up for the power diff - my dad could take me on a really long steep climb, but I flew by on the way back down:lol

·
14,150 Posts
Duken4evr said:
I saw a similar project awhile ago, the guy took a YZ450 engine and put it in a TZ 250 chassis.
I saw some crazy bastard bought an assinine bike that was a KX500 motor in an 85 frame. :lol

What a dumbass....that bike could kill you! :rotfl

·
5,503 Posts
And to make matters worse, that KX motor was an ex hillclimb mill, ported and overbored to 550cc :laugh

·
14,150 Posts
Yea, you gotta be a damn fool to ride that thing! :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts