TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first TL1000S two Days ago, a great 1997 model that´s been well taken care of
as far as I can tell. Engine runs strong but I´ve got a special kind of stuttering problem
that I wanted to check with you guys. It seems to be there more there when engine is warm.
I´ve got no problems revving it up in the high end - above 8K, the stuttering happens generally if I pulls
hard from low revs in any gear but most noticable when going from low rev in 5-6 gear.

The bike´s been standing a lot last couple of years so I pulled a dl of Red Line in the tank and drove up
about a tanks Worth of gas, it´s possibly slightly better now - but it is also hard to tell if it´s the carbs misbehaving or
ignition. Anyone recognices this? And where do I start searching? Vacuum hoses, fuel filter, ignition?

Best--Martin

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Do you have access to a Yosh box?

I have a 97S that had a stumble. I installed a TRE and played around with the fuel map (I think I ended at 0, +5, +5 and 11 o'clock on the idle mixture). Stumble has all but gone away.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I just got my first TL1000S two Days ago, a great 1997 model that´s been well taken care of as far as I can tell. .....
the stuttering happens generally if I pulls hard from low revs in any gear but most noticable when going from low rev in 5-6 gear.
Welcome to the forum Martin!

Exactly what "low rev" RPM range are you referring to?

In 5th or 6th gear, the engine is not going to 'pull strong' anywhere below 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have a 97S that had a stumble. I installed a TRE and played around with the fuel map (I think I ended at 0, +5, +5 and 11 o'clock on the idle mixture). Stumble has all but gone away.
I´m also thinking it could be running lean, is a TRE preferable to a PC3?
The TPS Reading looks good and everything else is finepowerwise all to the redline,
hade a couple of Ducks but no TL so don´t know what is what, it stumbles badly
when it does and I´m sure it ´s fuel injector related but I could have guessed ignition too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum Martin!

Exactly what "low rev" RPM range are you referring to?

In 5th or 6th gear, the engine is not going to 'pull strong' anywhere below 5000 rpm.
Picking up anywhere from 1500 to 3-4000, don´t expect it to run strong there in high gears
but it really stumbles bad, like the ignition cuts out 2-4 times before it gets into workable range.
But bike has Laser cans that are clearly more open than the originals and a K&N filter so
maybe it´s just running lean? Guessing it won´t hurt to try a TRE or PC3 to give it som more
fuel over the whole range. Pulls strong at the end now but there´s a slight resistance all through.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I´m also thinking it could be running lean, is a TRE preferable to a PC3?
The TPS Reading looks good and everything else is finepowerwise all to the redline,
hade a couple of Ducks but no TL so don´t know what is what, it stumbles badly
when it does and I´m sure it ´s fuel injector related but I could have guessed ignition too.

But is there a TRE for 97S?
The ones I find only work from the 98 model...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I just used a 6K8 resistor inline on the pink wire. Simple and effective.
Ok cool!
Well I went away and bought a Healtec Gipro ATRE G2 combined gear indicator/TRE box
for more han a resistor´s worth, we´ll see what that does.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Picking up anywhere from 1500 to 3-4000, don´t expect it to run strong there in high gears
but it really stumbles bad, like the ignition cuts out 2-4 times before it gets into workable range.
But bike has Laser cans that are clearly more open than the originals and a K&N filter so
maybe it´s just running lean? Guessing it won´t hurt to try a TRE or PC3 to give it som more
fuel over the whole range. Pulls strong at the end now but there´s a slight resistance all through.

I removed all my emissions equipment and now my bike has a flat spot/stumble upon take off(1500-2500 RPM). Doesn't last long and seems to be less noticeable as the bike warms up. I have a PCII and TRE. I'm going to try some different maps to see if I can sort it out. Worst case...I'll reinstall everything.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I removed all my emissions equipment and now my bike has a flat spot/stumble upon take off(1500-2500 RPM). ......
Were you careful to cap all of the vacuum ports when you finished removing parts?

Be sure the vacuum lines connected to the IAP sensor still have the air Jets installed in them.

TLR 4-79 by Tony Six5, on Flickr

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll have to double check this weekend. Pretty sure I did, but things happen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The S does not have a jet in the hose, and also does not use the vacuum damper.

It's just one straight hose to the IAP.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just got my first TL1000S two Days ago, a great 1997 model that´s been well taken care of
as far as I can tell. Engine runs strong but I´ve got a special kind of stuttering problem
that I wanted to check with you guys. It seems to be there more there when engine is warm.
I´ve got no problems revving it up in the high end - above 8K, the stuttering happens generally if I pulls
hard from low revs in any gear but most noticable when going from low rev in 5-6 gear.

The bike´s been standing a lot last couple of years so I pulled a dl of Red Line in the tank and drove up
about a tanks Worth of gas, it´s possibly slightly better now - but it is also hard to tell if it´s the carbs misbehaving or
ignition. Anyone recognices this? And where do I start searching? Vacuum hoses, fuel filter, ignition?

Best--Martin
Nice to see another swedish TL-rider here! Where are you located?

Reactions: 1000SMartin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice to see another swedish TL-rider here! Where are you located?
Bought the bike in Kävlinge north of Lund but live in Stockholm and
rode it up here two days ago. Var finns du? :)
Have you done any mapping on your bike?
Mine feels like it needs more juice all the way, and with short Laser
cans and sport air filter I think that is the case. Just added the
Healtech TRE Gipro gear indicator and TRE which seems to
work fine, I´m thinking next step is a Power Commander V.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bought the bike in Kävlinge north of Lund but live in Stockholm and
rode it up here two days ago. Var finns du? :)
Have you done any mapping on your bike?
Mine feels like it needs more juice all the way, and with short Laser
cans and sport air filter I think that is the case. Just added the
Healtech TRE Gipro gear indicator and TRE which seems to
work fine, I´m thinking next step is a Power Commander V.
No mapping done by me, at least.. don't know about previous owners.. I only have a TRE installed. Done +mod, charging mod and headlight relay mod to help the electrical system.. GPS and TB sync must be spot on for the bike to run at its best.. mine had the vacuum hose for the IAP disconnected when I bought it, and it ran like crap. Idle was non existing, and it pushed fuel in to the oil, making the oil level raise. Once I reconnected the hose and balanced TB and set TPS, it runs like a dream again!
I'm in Oskarshamn. 😃

Reactions: 1000SMartin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Then I almost passed you on the way up! :)
I checked the TPS which was fine and synced the TBs yesterday, noticed how sensitive the engine
is right away when the rpm Went up 800 from 1200 to 2000 when balanced! And it seems to run a lot
better now as well. But being new on an injection bike I notice how delicate everything is just like you say.

Also; does anyoneknow where to get an idle adjuster?
My Cable was rusted and broke when trying to get the rpm down tp 1200 again, had
to screw the adjuster screw in by hand...

Another really stupid question: Where the &%¤"# is the radiator reservoir supposed to be?
I wonder if it´s been removed, found a photo of it but can´t see anything like it on my bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts