TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so stupid asking this...but here goes...
Can you convert a 2 stroker like a YZ 125 or 250 into a street legal motard?? If so what are the requirements? Turn signals, dials, lights???

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I'm assuming you are in the states so I don't know there.

the answer in oz is no because all road registerable vehicles must have a compliance plate as well as meet the street requirements. ie light indicators etc. We have farm bikes here which meet the requirements but are not complianced and can't be registered.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The answer is going to vary state by state. For example here in Michigan you don't even need turn signals from what I understand. My street legal TTR250 doesn't have them (yet)

Try your state's web site for info or call the local DMV / Sec of State office... they are always so helpful :laugh

(sometimes they actually are)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
in Illinois you can, no signals either I believe

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Varies state by state. In a cool state like Colorado such conversions are quite common. CA made it impossible because Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer are the dual headed 4 breasted anti motorized recreation Anti-Christ.

CT is unfortunately too close to MA. I imagine it too is a "people's republik" like MA, where all motorized fun and games are similarly outlawed.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
You can in most states, it just depends on how hard you are willing to work at it. There's not much point in it though as they pretty much suck on the street. 50 mile fuel range if you are lucky, loads of vibration and a very tight ratio gear box. You'll have to mix oil and gas at every fill up too. Two strokes are a blast, but two stroke race bikes don't make good street bikes. Of course if you just want an impractical, but insanely fun hooligan machine have at it.

btw i've a street legal CR250R - it wears knobbies though. The vibs will blur your vision when sitting on the street.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
yea we dont allow no hillbilly-type off-roadin nor recreational sports up here in these parts :bitchslap

lol

theres even certain lakes I can't ride my jet ski on :coocoo WTF is this world coming to?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
But federal law requires you recognize the registrations from the other 49 states and the folks at the dmv are too dim to know what a CR250R is anyway so once you've got a clean, legit title its 49-state legal:deal

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very good points...BikePilot, I think I am looking for the "fill it up in my driveway...and go wreak havok around the neighborhood" type of machine...there are scores of 250's all over craigslist here...some for around 1000 buks

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
even a gas-saver for a ride to work if you're close enough :O

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
21 miles each way on I95...its got to be better than my TLS or my Pathfinder...both suck LOL! :laugh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts