TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to remove the bar end on the right side and the damn screw just wasn't having it. The battle between Old Screw that hadn't been moved since 1998 vs. Me ended with => :banghead

Anyone have a particularly favorite method to get these types of screws out?

Right now I've got a 6 amp drill and a bad mood, so I'm gonna leave the garage alone for a bit and grab a pint. :beer

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Dude, the screw probably isn't stripped - it's just a rubber bung in there and that is probably sliding :( try and pull on the bar end weight to 'stick' the bung inside the bar and then unscrew it ...

Oh just noticed that's an S in the pic there - it may be different to the R :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No rubber on the TLS (unlike the TLR). The bar end is threaded directly into the clip-on and has nuclear-strength threadlocker on it from the factory.

Some have had luck cutting the head of the screw off, then sliding the bar end off and gripping the remaining bit of screw with a pair of vice grips. Best to apply a bit of heat as well. Many others have ended up snapping the screw off, drilling out out and tidying up the threads with a tap.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
TLS has capped bar ends. They're drilled and tapped.

Drill the head off the screw, pull the bar end off, then work with the shaft of the screw with a pair of vice grips. A bit of heat on the screw via a blow torch will help too. If you don't have one, you could try some WD40 or Penetrene or something let it sit and try.

If you snap the screw shaft, you'll have to drill it out and retap the bar end.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
Too slow, what Josh said :laugh

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great minds think alike:laugh

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll run by the hardware store and pick up some nice vice grips.

·
Registered
446 Posts
good luck man I feel for ya

just tried to get a snapped off exhaust flange bolt out in my engine
it was a nightmare....
it actually never came out.......snapped an easy out in there to for sport ;)....the works
ended up getting a hole in there finally and tappin a smaller size

but it needed me to get some german carbide tipped drills to do it
it was a fxxking nightmare

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If you search you'll find TLS problems with those bolts since '97...they used rather permanent loctite. So dril the head, take off the throttle tube or grip and the switchpod, and apply heat to the bolt and the loctite will disintegrate into powder, then the bolt will come out easily with vise-grips like others have stated. Heat is the key!

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Same as everybody else said, drill the head off. Right Hand side is a bit easier as you can remove the twist grip and get a blow torch on the end to soften the loctite before using the mole grips to unscrew.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Well that makes my problem seem so much simpler. I just lost both of mine on my last trackday. Misfire swears he almost got hit by one of them on the front straight. Still need to pick up some new ones.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
When using the blow torch , paint the outside of the metal with some soap, maybe rub a wet bar of it over the metal and heat until it changes colour then stop. it is a good heat indicator. if you go too far you'll damage the heat temper in the ali.
you can let it cool and clean the soap and go again if need be, but the soap will stop you overcooking it

·
14,150 Posts
good tip! :thumbup

·
Registered
7 Posts
y so much locktite?

I have been a toyota tech for about 13years and i have not used locktite on any of our cars but i have seen and heard all this about locktite on bikes can anyone tell me y? they use that crap on about all the bolts? do bolts on bikes come loose all the time? if u torque them they should stay tiite right?
Thanks
:O:confused

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

·
14,150 Posts
I have been a toyota tech for about 13years and i have not used locktite on any of our cars but i have seen and heard all this about locktite on bikes can anyone tell me y? they use that crap on about all the bolts? do bolts on bikes come loose all the time? if u torque them they should stay tiite right?
Thanks
:O:confused
Most of your toyotas are nice smooth machines. Your TL is a vibrating hunk of fun. But unfortunately those vibes don't work so well on bolts. Even factory installed bolts, like the one holding the rotary damper on, can come loose. Good to check em often, and use loctite if you change them.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yup, that loctite is a biatch. I drilled mine (1/4 inch bit I think, just to get the head off) the bar end will slip off, the you grab it with a good set of vice grips and twist it out.

C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.