TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I need to ask you lads that know, about a strange problem that has manifested with my TLR. I have it since Sep and have been out a good few times with no problems at all... dry wet makes no difference. When I bought the bike it came with ART pro series 2 cans on and a G1pro TRE.

Now here is the problem it does not occur every time and also I cant seem to diagnose what is causing it... It cuts out for a split second and then goes again and this happens intermittantly.

I have noticed though this does not occur when the bike is cold or if I am on the open road it starts when you come into stop go traffic and then doesnt go away untill you get the open road again doing a good 60 or 70. Although it can still happen but very rarely. Sometimes it dies at idle but most time just when you pulling off or going between traffic lights

During stop go traffic it heats up and the fans come on keeps it approx 110 at the very highest then when cruisning again back down to 82 deg and thats fine

Its breaking my balls... and its dangerous as the bike dives forward when it cuts out and then shoots back as it starts again.
:banghead

Does not do this at all if you giving stick... sadly Irelands roads does not allow that...

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Side stand switch secure?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ill check those items... The thing that i dont understand is why does it not do it when its cold.... just after starting its fine and if i ride around in town its fine untill it starts to get above the 100 deg C ... It seems to be temperature related and that something is breaking down as it is intermitant... i just dont know where to start looking.

:confused

·
Registered
371 Posts
Is it at a specific RPM? There is a known flat spot around 3500-4000.

If not, I had a similar problem on a Buell. It was the ignition module dying.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
My plastic gel seat retainer was hitting the engine fuse block and giving me headaches, causing all power to go out. It felt like I were running out of fuel for a moment. Sometimes it would cut back on, sometimes I would have to coast over to the side of the road and it would start right up. Not sure if the TLR has the same setup. I only figured it out when one day I went to start her up and no juice. I put the battery tender on her and it showed a full charge! I pulled the rider's seat and I had juice. I filed the seat hook down a little and no problems since.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is nothing strange about what’s happening to your bike. The intermittent TL1000 electrical death has become as common on these bikes as the 2500 RPM decel backfire that comes from a loose exhaust.

It's your starter solenoid (relay, main fuse, or whatever you want to call it) everyone calls it something different.

Its on top of your battery box and has two 30 amp fuses on either side and a capped harness plug in the center. That harness plug is most likely corroded. I'll bet if you put your key in the "on" position and simply nudge that plug a few times, you'll watch your bike come to life and die over and over again.

You can

1. Pull the plug and attempt to clean up the connections and hit it with some dielectric grease.

or recomended (By me anyway)

2. Go to
http://www.ronayers.com/browseparts.cfm?SearchString=31800-21E20&adv=5&kw=fiche.ronayers.com

pay your $60.30 and replace with a new part. The reason I say go with #2 is because these bikes are old and the electrical parts are tired. Doesn't make sense to replace your old worn out part with someone elses old tired part. You'll inevitably end up right back where you started.

Just in case that link doesn't work, the part number is 31800-21E20 (RELAY ASSY,STAR)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys for the help Ill be looking at the starter relay first. Bike was parked in the shed over the winter, and have not been around to work on it, will get stuck in the next few weeks, need to get her sorted before the summer... Will let you know how I get on....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts