TLZone Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I've lurked around here and I apologize for being a fair (or, I guess in this case, bad) weather poster, but I really need some help.

So, the TLR has decided it does not love me. I've had an intermittent weak start when the bike is warm, but it's been that way for the three years that I've owned the bike.

About a month ago (when I started having to park the bike outside) I started getting an occasional no start. I'd hold the switch and it would do nothing. No cranking or engaging, just a clicking of the relay under the seat and the fuel pump whirring away. But, after hitting it a few times and holding the switch, it would eventually kick over and run. It was very intermittent and would even happen when the bike was cold. But, for the last two weeks it was fine. No problems at all. Until the UT game yesterday.

We were riding slow and stuck in traffic, so the bike got pretty warm. We stopped to pick up the tickets and I definitely had some worry about it not starting right away or easily, but I turned it off anyway (smart guy. Way to listen to instincts).

Came back out and I go to crank it up, it gives an EXTREMELY weak few cranks that are nowhere close to enough and then nothing. Just the clicking of relays and whirring of the pump. I left it and went to the game, came back, still no love.

Tried to jump it, no love. Tried to beat on the starter while cranking (as best as I could, which wasn't great) and no love. The headlights are strong (and don't dim when I hit the start button), so I really don't think it's the battery.

Any thoughts? I did search the posts and I saw a few mixed choices of either the connection to the starter or the starter itself. Anything else I might be missing before I pay a ton for a used starter or pull this one out for a rebuild?

Also, what's the easiest way to pop start this tank? I had a few weak attempts in 2nd gear (no pushing help) and it just locked up the tire. Any pointers here?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would try replacing the starter relay. arch the +/- terminals with a screw driver, if it fires up replace it. $40 or so i had a similar problem

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
sounds like u have a bad battery or poor charging

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
look at ALL connestions to the relay clean them and battery terminals if needed...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure about the charging issue because the headlight is bright and the light doesn't dim when I hit the starter (not like it does if the starter is actually draining the battery) and because I tried to jump it and it acted no differently.

I'm leaning towards a bad starter/solenoid or connection. 2 questions though:

1. Where exactly is the relay and the solenoid (to jump it with a screwdriver)?
2. What gear are you guys using to pop start the bike? 1st, 2nd, 3rd possibly? I have done it on I4s, but never on a twin.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bump starting the twins is not easy, especialy if the battery is down on terminal voltage. I have only done it once down a fairly steep hill, the other time i tried on a slope i was as flat as the battery in the end, it just locked up no matter the gear, 5th is tricky as you cannot catch the clutch fast enough to keep it alight if it does manage to stop locking the back tyre and actualy fire.

Ended up scratching the tank from all the up hill pushing in the heat, the RR is/was the problem and i am well unhappy with the early failure.
HTH

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5th gear, huh? I've got to give it a try. I don't own a truck and the bike is stuck at a hotel in the not of greatest neighborhoods of Austin. So, it's either going to get stolen or towed and I need to get it out of there.

I've got friends with trucks, but bringing it all together (truck, friends, tie downs, ramp, time) has been next to impossible, especially when I'm on 24 hour shifts at the fire station. So, I'd really like to try to pop start the thing, because it should run fine once it's rolling.

I gave all of my tools to my old roommate when we moved out of our old place and I don't have anything besides what Suzuki sent with the bike, so working on it there is going to be next to impossible unless it's simple stuff like connections.

Man, I've never felt so screwed. I don't really want to have to call a tow truck and toss them gobs of money, before I toss gobs of money at the bike, right before I sell it. Argh, timing sucks.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I went to go check the thing out and pray that it started or was stolen (no luck). Still no love, however, if I hold the start button (one click by the computer and fuel pump on constantly while the button is held) I noticed that the FI red light starts blinking and the display changes from "Check" to FI. The temp symbol is on (when it switches back to "Check" from FI) and the oil pressure symbol flashes.

Is this something that normally happens and I've just never noticed? Could this just be because the pump is on for that long with the engine not firing? Might this tell me my issue?

Again, thanks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
that's normal. if you are @ a firehouse, you have axcess to lots of tools!

check the kickstand switch just to be safe. but it sounds like you need a battery. it doesn't take many volts to make your lights bright. but takes a lot of amps to turn the pig over!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:stupid Sounds like either a bad bat or bad connections to me. Possibly a bad starter, but that's sorta unlikely. Start by cleaning/checking all the bat cable (+ and -) connections at the bat and also at the starter, starter solonoid and frame.

good luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have had the SAME problem with my tiller the other year with it starting intermitently and then not starting at times. 1. I have had luck in rolling the bike off and popping 2nd gear to start it, I just bounce the back end to help the rear tire grab instead of locking up and skidding at the time that I let the clutch out. 2. I ended up having to replace the starter relay and it has been ALL GOOD since then so I'd say start there before you look to replace the starter.. Good luck and hope you get her back on the road soon.:burnout

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Starter relay, it is.

Do any of you have one or know of anyone who does? I searched the for sale threads for "starter relay" within the last month and came up with nothing. I also tried to post in the Wanted to Buy section and it wouldn't let me. I apologize for posting it up here.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, it is truly appreciated.

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts