TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i was just wondering if many of you store your bike over the winter months or even longer periods when not in use etc?
I'm thinking of parking my bike in the garage over the next 12 months and was curious on the best way to store it. I have heard people say fill the tank up while others say empty it out? So I'm looking for advice from anyone on here on how the store their bike, best methods or what not to do. Here is my ideas so far so please correct if it's wrong.

*front and rear paddock stands.
*trickle battery charger.
*full tank of Petrol maybe?
*start her up once a month
*bike cover.

Not sure what else to do but if anyone else stores their bike for long periods then any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Hi all, i was just wondering if many of you store your bike over the winter months or even longer periods when not in use etc?
I'm thinking of parking my bike in the garage over the next 12 months and was curious on the best way to store it. I have heard people say fill the tank up while others say empty it out? So I'm looking for advice from anyone on here on how the store their bike, best methods or what not to do. Here is my ideas so far so please correct if it's wrong.

*front and rear paddock stands.
*trickle battery charger.
*full tank of Petrol maybe?
*start her up once a month
*bike cover.

Not sure what else to do but if anyone else stores their bike for long periods then any advice would be appreciated.
I'd say a little bit of fuel (cover the goods in the tank)... stabil in the tank
Pull the battery entirely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rxf610

Cheers mate was thinking of the optimate charger to keep the battery charged and the plates clean while it's on the bike but as you said may be best to disconnect it all together.

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
Personally, if I were to lay up a bike for that long I would also be inclined to flush out the rad & system - refill it. Also dump the oil and filter, flush out the engine and refill with new oil and filter. Run the bike and push the new stuff around.
You can get some nasty acidic & gunky build up from engines and cooling systems left standing for long periods. Spraying on an inhibitor to the bikes non painted parts would also help keep the furry tarnish away too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers tuckshop Ted, the bikes not long had an oil and filter change in the last month with less than 50 mile's done on it since, so hope that's adequate enough but dont think the rads been touched. I will clean her from top to bottom and apply autosol etc to keep her gleaming and fur free.👍😉

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Cover parts in acf50. It'll stop corrosion. And you can wash it off when you decide to use it again.
Probably won't need it but it won't hurt it.
Mine are left in the garage from Oct until april or may each winter and tbh I usually wash them and put them away. Never used an optimate. My TL's don't run the batteries down. I may just give them a charge before riding just to give them a boost in the spring but they usually start ok.
If you are leaving it for a year just disconnect he battery. The TL' s won't suffer for it not being connected. Might helto prise the brake pads off the discs incase they rust together especially after washing. .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers gazza I will use some acf50 like you said, shes already clean so no need for a wash so dont think there's any moisture on the pads and i already have the optimate so will hook her upto it during storage to be on the safe side. 👍😉

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,830 Posts
Me, I do **** all.

I park the bike up in what ever condition it is in, with whatever fuel it has and leave it on an Optimate for up to 6 months............... :lol

...................... but then it gets a full service and check over before it get used again........................ :O

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wash, park it up, plug in the charger and start it up after a real cold spell. Dont just let it tick over that does them no good, apply the trottle when warm.
Service, tyre pressure and once over before using in the spring. Never had an issue in twenty years with various bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crash b, tuckshop ted and mikeblue thanks for the advice and tips I will no doubt have a gleaming bike which will hopefully still sound sweet after being stored over the coming months👍. Will also be doing odd jobs to make her mint again too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's an update on my progress getting her ready for the winter storage. Tank and fairings off for repair so spent some time giving her a proper clean prior to applying acf50. It's all new to me so taking my time stripping her down but very rewarding too.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts