TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 tls with 4000 untuched miles stopped running while going to get gas the other day. I did put new NGK's in it about 100 miles ago. After it shut down , It fired up again but as soon as I let the clutch out and put a load on the motor it just stalled. It did this about 3 times and then it would not fire at all. I'm sure it's electrical. Can someone give me a list of components to check ?? I start this bike regularly and keep the battery charged. Please help. MANY THANKS !

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
side stand switch and tip over sensor

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4210.00 miles. Thats it, don't beet me up for not riding it. I turned expert racing motor-X as a kid. I'm now 51 and enjoy having these bikes more than riding them. PERIOD!

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
What Stui said. Look for a loose side stand or side stand switch.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Hate to disagree with my learned friends here - but if I understand correctly the bike started, then you could engage gear and only when you let out clutch it died.
The suggestions of the side stand or tilt switch would not allow it to get this far down the line before dying
i.e. starting & gear engaged - if it died the instant you selected a gear, then absolutely, follow the sidestand suggestion.
But if as you originally described, died only when clutch was engaged, then not that.

Sounds like a fuel (or lack of) issue to me. Possibly contaminated gas given infrequent use, or clogged fuel filter.
As with any engine that won't run, essentially need fuel & spark. Pull plugs and test for spark & eliminate that as first contention. Spark looks good, then see why there is a fuel deficiency in either or both cylinders.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
would not allow it to get this far down the line before dying
:stupid :doh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I said the bike ran fine, then stalled, restarted but would not handle the load as I let the clutch out. The bike did move forward around 10 feet but the motor then died. It did this about 6 times then would not fire at all. It's not fuel, I'm sure it's an electrical component. I was just woundering if there's a history of certain components gone bad. Thanks I have not taken anything apart yet but I did try to start it the next day and it almost fired but then went to no fire at all. I'm sure the plugs are gas fouled at this point. Just looking for quick tips as at 51 my vision sucks and I don't like greasy hands any more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My tl is a 97. I replaced the battery in 2000 and thats whats in it now. I do keep it charged and it cranks fine but does anyone know if a 9 yr old battery can loose certain output potentials and possibly be my problem ???

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
:doh Missed the moving part too.

The TL will do all sorts of strange things if the battery is knackered. Have it load tested to make sure it's good and then give it a full charge. Then check the main connectors at the front of the bike. The one's of main concern are yellow and white on the R, probably the same on the S i would think.:O The four pronged connector located at the main fuse is also another source of trouble. All of these connectors tend to corrode resulting in poor connections that can cause the bike to stall. Clean, tighten, apply dielectric grease, reassemble and try riding it again.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
As I said the bike ran fine, then stalled, restarted but would not handle the load as I let the clutch out. The bike did move forward around 10 feet but the motor then died. It did this about 6 times then would not fire at all. It's not fuel, I'm sure it's an electrical component .....
There is no electrical reason I could possibly think of that would have the bike start & run and only die under load - why are you convinced this is an electrical problem?
It certainly sounds more like fuel to me.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
How old are the plugs? Maybe spark not hot enough.

A defective plug(s) or plug wires that have too much resistance can fail under a load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also since I'm going to get my hands dirty, what else should I do to a stock 97 motor? The bike does the tipical searging in the 3000 R range. Just looking for simple mods, don't want to buy any thing. I know I can install items to correct certain problems but I'm just interested in mods that I may not be aware of. Simple fixes. Thanks Again

·
Registered
802 Posts
It sounds like the sort of weird intermittent fault you get with corroded connectors or a damaged
Harness shorting to the frame.
Is check displayed on the taco when the bike stalls ?
The battery is definitely suspect.
Do not do any mods until you fix this problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts