TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
My steering dampener is too soft & not much use.I came across an other tiller yesterday & his dampener was heaps stiffer.We came to the conclusion that his must have different oil in his.Before I pull mine appart,has anyone done a steering damener service yet?I'd like too know what's involed in pulling it apart & what type of oil to use.
Cheers
Jace

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm guessing ....you fill it up all the way?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the end cap off easy enough but the rubber seal just won't come out with out F*#king it,its jammed in too tight.I'll try the syringe method.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Cool link. I'll be doing the same when the stock steering damper for my GSXR track bike turns up.

:D

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I did the oposite on mine, swaped out the thick stock fluid for 2.5wt fork oil. Made quite an improvement in turn-in with no change in stability that I could tell. I used a syrenge, worked just dandy if a bit messy.

have fun

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...most want to loosen up the stock POS a bit...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about anyones else,but my stock setting was pissweak.Anyway for those who are after the same effect....... the oil grade has to be at least 10w.I ended up using 15w she's sweet now!It holds 15ml of oil & make sure you get all the air out.Easy proceeder,it took about 20min.I would of taken picture,but I had oil all over the place (hands).

·
Registered
756 Posts
2.5wt fork oil did the job just fine in mine,takes a bit of work getting all the air bubbles out,great improvement over the stock weight oil.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I went 2.5wt fork oil in mine too.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
So which is best? 2.5W or 15W? :O

Thats a big diff

:D

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I went 2.5 so it was lighter than stock.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends what you are after, stiff or soft.I can't see the reason of having a dampener if you have it that loose,its kinda defeating the purpose isn't it.Definetly wont stop a slapper!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I prefer a little stiffer than stock - safer than sorry! :thumbup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts