TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought someone on here said that they were made of stainless steel and could be polished to a bright finish.

Does anyone know what type of compound or cleaning disk/wheel it would take to polish these? I dont feel the need to spend a lot of money on it but I can spare a few hours here and there to polish them.

Also, how long with the finish stay? I thought of powder coating them because my uncle owns a big powder coating company in North Carolina and he said he would do it for me for free. All I would have to do is pay shipping costs.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
On the R looks stainless to me.. just been busy cleaning it and sanding it. Not to sure about the polish tho. Don't have any tools for that :banghead

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...on the TLS its a biatch to get that black coating off, your better off not polishing them...

Get 'em powder coated from your uncle for the cost of shipping:thumbup

·
Registered
379 Posts
When something is powder coated the finish is baked on in an oven. It should be fine. I've heard of some people using some type of jet coating or cermaic coating that is supposed to make the temps stay lower and flow better. You may want to check into that, i've seen both silver and black finishes.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Yep, I'd check into jet hot and also check into how hot the powder coat can get. I suspect a TL header gets a lot hotter than a powder coaters oven, but that's just a guess. For reference, the headers on a TL glow red at night if allowed to sit still long (perhaps even while riding - I can't see them then).

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
Polishing might be a pain, but what you can do is get a wire wheel and give them a brushed finish. That will remove the coating that's on them and make them look good too. I believe that's what Doug did to his.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I think I am going to try to scuff them clean. If that doesnt hurt I may have them powder coated or check in to that jet hot coating. I bought some jet hot coated headers formy car years ago and they look like new!

·
Registered
401 Posts
i know micron recalled all of their powder coated exhaust cans for the 06 R6 because the finish pealed off. They found the source to be the powder coating not being able to stand up to the temps that were claimed by the distributor. Definately do your homework first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts