TLZone Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1474 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
We have a BDM hardware interface here at the shop. I would be more than willing to have a go at this project if someone had an ecu to sacrifice to the tuning gods (although I doubt it would get hurt in the reading stage, I can't bring myself to test it on my commuter). If I can dump the memory, I can run it through WinOLS and see if any of the potential maps match up with Ridge's.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is the pinout for our BDM. Ridge, do you have a corresponding pinout for the ecu? Getting anxious enough to try it on my own:coocoo :devious

·
Registered
646 Posts
Okay, got it all connected. My BDM is having trouble comunicating though. It doesn't like that DSDO is high and demands that it be switch to low before it will connect...any suggestions...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looking at the cpu16rm.pdf doc section 10.4.7.2

It looks like you need to pull BKPT lo until the ECU responds with FREEZE hi
At this point pin 4 can be switched to DSCLK and things should start to talk.

Iv never worked on Motorola cpu’s before so this is new stuff for me to

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Pad pretty much nailed it. The first thing you should check is to see if Freeze is high indicating you are in background mode.

To get in background mode you need to hold bkpt/dsclk low 512 cpu cycles after you release reset. I don't know if your software has a setting for this.

Also excuse me asking a really obvious question...you are powering the ecu up through the wire harness pins and have 5V between pins 1 and 8 before you connect the BDM?

·
Registered
646 Posts
It looks like you need to pull BKPT lo until the ECU responds with FREEZE hi
At this point pin 4 can be switched to DSCLK and things should start to talk.
That's what I got out of it as well. Glad to have someone confirm though.:)
RidgeRacer said:
To get in background mode you need to hold bkpt/dsclk low 512 cpu cycles after you release reset. I don't know if your software has a setting for this.

Also excuse me asking a really obvious question...you are powering the ecu up through the wire harness pins and have 5V between pins 1 and 8 before you connect the BDM?
Please, ask the obvious ones. :O I'd have it be something simple.
Yes, the ECU is powered with battery+ to 17(O/W) and grounded to 18(B/W), 12.1v on the power supply with a current of 150mA. I have 4.97v between 1 and 8 on the BDM plug. My software does not have a setting to get into background mode, so I would have to build a circuit to do this. Seems like the Motorola is pretty specific with the timing. Considering at this point springing for the PEMicro setup as it is well documented and fuller featured.(and I don't have to wait for an email from Germany for tech support:banghead )

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The physical interface is not the problem as much as the software is. The CPU used in the 16bit Denso units has the ability to reflash itself internally but does not have an on board boot loader microkernal. This means to erase or reflash the chip you need to download a small program into RAM and execute it. This boot loader then communicates back and forth via the BDM requesting packets of data to flash into the CPU

I originally downloaded my very first ZX-12 ECU using a home made BDM. Reading the flash out is no big deal. You can simply use the RD memory location command. But when it came time to flash the ECU I had to find a method that others could use. My interface was a based on a modified pre production prototype of a device I designed for a my day job company and had laying around. Any boot loader software I wrote for it would be unique and of no use to others.

Wanting to move beyond proof of concept and into the practical I went with the off the shelf P&E micro and the Prog16z programming software.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
I've been following this thread by the skin of my teeth, but you've totally lost me know :banghead

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I've been following this thread by the skin of my teeth, but you've totally lost me know :banghead
I am in the same boat but I sense the computer guru's are on the brink of success in being able to reprogram the stock ecu completely. Now back to my build of the big bore race motor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
What is it they say about making sausages?

Don't worry the end result will be very user friendly. Just plug one end of this little box into the printer port of your PC/Laptop and the other end into your ECU and apply power.

The rest is point and click on your PC.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ffaspector can you post up sum cutting instructions
to expose the BDM port.
Absolutely. Will take pics with measurements showing the location today. As for tools, it was just a small cut off wheel, flat head driver, a brass brush and some flux remover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
You should also get that BDM to ECU interface cable I sent you today or tomorrow.

It's a good thing you got another one. You'll need one you can totally clean off so you can trace out all the CPU pins to the harness connectors. Figuring out the maps goes much faster when you know which Analog input to the CPU is air temp and which is throttle for instance.

The busa and zx-12 were very similar hardware wise but then they were both 4 cylinders.

BTW, do you have access to IDApro?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
silly question time.....:pirate
so once you've got it all working and can fully reprogram the ecu in all gears to fine increments....will it still need dyno time....or will it be able to adjust itself?:O i can see this being great for getting our older bikes to run so much better than they do now...:)

41 - 60 of 1474 Posts