TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ripped open my stock cans and pulled out all the baffling material inside. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and how much louder will it make my exhaust? I didnt go all the way and cut out the inside pipe as I am a big pussy!!! Also, is it possible to do the same thing with say an RS-3 exhaust? Thanx.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
i have done it so has chucks_net, i cut out the pipe in the middle it sounds killer, not sure how much quiter itll be with the pipe inside still, but gutted stockers sound just as good or better than yosh plus you save a butt load of money,

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i have an M4 full, and i still liked my modded cans on my street bike.. concidering they cost next to nothing...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would you guys recommend me going full on and cutting out the inside pipe? I am considering throwing down for some bolt-on RS-3's but would it be better to stick with the cut and gutted stock cans if I'm not really looking for an increase in horsepower? Thanx.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
go for it, i have heard nothing but compliments about my pipes, and never got harrassed about them. good thing about em, is if you dont like em pick up another set from ebay or on here for 20 or so bucks, i have mind painted black and gutted they look and sound killer

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it really that big a difference in sound between removing all the baffling material and actually cutting the inside pipe?:O

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't even think about that. I was worried about it sounding too "hollow" if I completely removed the whole pipe. If I just drilled holes in the inner baffling plate then I should be able to fine tune the sound I want right? Wow, this whole learning thing if F-U-N... FUN!!!!!!!!:devious

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
No hollow sound at all. See for yourself http://www.chucksirois.com/Movies/6KrevStockmod.avi

If you don't cut the pipe you will end up pulling it apart and cutting it anyway. You will see when you pull it apart -that tube forces the exhaust to go through the different chambers and packing. There will still be ton of restriction if you leave the pipe.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
jfriedel88 said:
So would you guys recommend me going full on and cutting out the inside pipe? I am considering throwing down for some bolt-on RS-3's but would it be better to stick with the cut and gutted stock cans if I'm not really looking for an increase in horsepower? Thanx.

I tried bolth one right after the other and found that I liked the modded stockers better than RS3s. I got rid of my RS3s and now I got rid of my stockers... If you want better than stock then mod the stock. I can't really think of a good reason to go out and buy cans or even a full system... not even for bling reasons -many many folks drueled at my ceramic powder coated white cans. Just make sure you paint them with a flat (non-gloss) paint and they will look great.

(Yes I know I am a pic whore)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx Chuck. Saw your slash vids, very nice bro. I think I will go ahead and cut that pipe out. Where is the best place to look for some paint? I think I will go with either black or white. Any recommendations on wher to buy, what to buy, and how to paint it on(do i need a paint gun)? Thanx again.:hail

·
Registered
676 Posts
After looking at the pic of the inside of the pipe I think I have a major issue.

I bought my bike with the stock pipes in buble wrap (like brand new) and it had the
RS-3 stainless pipes already installed. I took a flashlight and looked in my pipes and I see absolutely nothing! The only thing I see is what looks like honecombed holes in a thin sheet of metal, the holes are very close together. But I can see all the way to the bottom of the muffler where it boles to the pipe and it looks like little bafles on the outside of the inside of the pipe...if that makes sense??? Are these race or street mufflers? Again there is nothing in there but a circular piece of metal with little holes that runs the distance from the botom of the pipe to the top?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I set off car alarms now dude....lol Plus the cops look at me cross when I go by, but a damn blattin nasty soundin harley can do it and they dont pick up their heads!

I think it is plenty loud enough, I think I will let it go.

Arnt there RS-3 Race and Street? Which ones are mine? I would assume street.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
TLS_Addict said:
I set off car alarms now dude....lol Plus the cops look at me cross when I go by, but a damn blattin nasty soundin harley can do it and they dont pick up their heads!

I think it is plenty loud enough, I think I will let it go.

Arnt there RS-3 Race and Street? Which ones are mine? I would assume street.

The way I understand it is street has a different diameter (larger) shot through the pipe -maybe a little harder packed with baffling material. Modded cans sound much nicer than RS3s and you still won't get pulled over (at least no in my neighborhood)

·
Banned
255 Posts
MAN.........here it goes again....and chuck might second me on this....cans are so 1980's........no cans and supertrapps is the wave of the future...:laugh :devious

1 - 20 of 22 Posts