TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just got a TL1000s from my uncle who doesn’t ride anymore. It runs fine but while I was riding home the clutch was extremely hard to pull.
When I got home I pulled the front sprocket cover off and there’s some rust and a lot of grime around the sprocket & clutch. I’m not very experienced in bike repair and I was hoping someone could take a look at the picture and give advice.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Tread

· Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,784 Posts
Welcome to the Zone!

The item circled in the photo is known as the "worm drive." Is the mechanism that moves the push rod when the cable is pulled. It needs to be lubed and adjusted. Be sure to follow the manual for the adjustment procedure.

Also, be careful not to lose any of the ball bearings inside it. I think there are eleven of them. They tend to fall out when it is dry.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design

You can download the service manual from Steve's TL1000S pages

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Zone!

The item circled in the photo is known as the "worm drive." Is the mechanism that moves the push rod when the cable is pulled. It needs to be lubed and adjusted. Be sure to follow the manual for the adjustment procedure.

Also, be careful not to lose any of the ball bearings inside it. I think there are eleven of them. They tend to fall out when it is dry.

View attachment 66419

You can download the service manual from Steve's TL1000S pages
Thanks for the help! Is there any specific lube or grease I should use?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any decent wheel bearing grease will do the job.

Inspect the components while you have it apart. If it has been run dry for a while, the bearing cage can become worn. If so, might be due for a new Worm Drive.
I took it apart and half the ball bearings were missing. I took everything apart and degreased as well as I could. Have some ball bearings arriving in the mail tomorrow so will grease up and put new ball bearings in. Hopefully this helps ease the clutch pull a bit. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
5,780 Posts
Make sure the cable is nice and free as well. A sticking cable can make the clutch heavy too.
What is going in with the Speedo drive in the front sprocket. Looks a bit weird.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Make sure the cable is nice and free as well. A sticking cable can make the clutch heavy too.
What is going in with the Speedo drive in the front sprocket. Looks a bit weird.
I ordered a new clutch cable a few days ago to replace anyway because i have no idea how old that clutch cable is and no clue when it was last lubed. I replaced the ball bearings in the worm drive and regreased everything but it hasn’t really made a noticeable difference.

· Registered
5,780 Posts
How much of the history do you know. It might have heavy duty springs ir a welded clutch centre. Both will make the clutch heavier. I have a motocross easy clutch fitted to my TL's.
Like this

· Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,784 Posts
...... . I replaced the ball bearings in the worm drive and regreased everything but it hasn’t really made a noticeable difference.
If the clutch cable and actuator are moving freely, it might be time to remove the clutch cover and have a look. It might be as tlsgazza noted - maybe it has aftermarket springs and/or a welded clutch center (aka cam set).

Take note of how far the pressure plate moves when you pull the clutch lever.

FYI - A '97 TLS normally has a 5-Spring clutch, so it should not have both a welded center and aftermarket springs. That combination creates a hazard condition for the 5-spring pressure plate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts