TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right spot for this but...

I took my silly orange SRAD stickers off my 99 tiller tail and I cannot get the damn sticker goo off it to save my entire arse.

I have experimented with a couple things to no avail: alcohol (in effective), goo gone (takes the finish off), and elbow grease (just got blisters trying to "smudge" it off little by little with my fingers).....

Anyone got a good cure for sticker goo that won't remove the finish?

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
stuff called "goo off" or gooff or some such. Problem is it might be much like the goo gone.

I take a paper towl and stick it to the sticky stuff. then do a little saturation in the area of the paper towl where the sticky stuff is, let it loosten up and then wipe clean.

rewax the area after........ should be good as new.

·
Moderator,
8,244 Posts
WD-40 often works as does plain old vegetable oil if you let it soak a bit. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
carefull with goof off and goo gone. they do take the shit off sometimes, but be careful NOT to scrape the stuff off after putting on the stuff. My buddy was helping me take the warning lables off the DRZ and he was scraping on off with his thumb nail it is took off the clear coat.

works good with just a rag tho! Let it sit in the sun to soften it up first

·
Registered
263 Posts
straight simple green. that shit takes tar off rims effortlessly. wont damage your finish either. i wash my whole bike with it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
goof off or finger nail polish remover will work but like MrTucker said don't scrape just rub and one of these will take the glue right off then just rewax like rifleman said and it will look great!

·
Registered
608 Posts
bug and tar by turtle wax works great

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have experimented with lots of stuff over the years & finally took the advice from someone here & got a bottle of "Goo Gone." Do not use this stuff on Suzuki body panels as it definitely removes paint in the process. IMHO this is an unacceptable way to remove adhessive residue. The bottle even warns you of this - I am warning you as well.

About a year ago I decided to get a set of somewhat scuffed up TLS panels prepped up for race bodywork. The stocker decals were scratched up & the panels themselves had a few deeper scratches in them. On one panel I tried the Goo Gone in a small corner that had no scratches. It still lifted the paint off so I was done with that stuff. So I tried a technique that has worked before on the those OEM warning stickers found all over new bikes. Using a hair dryer I heated up the area with the sticker & then slowly peeled the "TL1000S" sticker off. It left quite a bit of adhessive behind though. So I used some heat on the adhessive & with clean hands I used my thumb (skin side, not fingernails) to push the adhessive over. The heat softens the stuff up & your skin is soft enough but still has enough friction to get the stuff to clump up. It took about 15 minutes to do the one large TLS sticker on the upper/side panel but it was very clean result & I didn't need to rub it out or wax it.

Given this success I tried to finish up the other side panel I had used some Goo Gone on & also some WD40 on the other sticker sections. Using this "finger & heat" technique after those solvents were applied was useless. Didn't work at all :^(. So I tried isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol on the goo with no success & then tried the finger & heat routine again. Still no go. Argh. Took me way over an hour playing around with options until I just gave up & used the "Goo Gone". That pulled up the paint so I needed to use a paint polishing compound (McGuires #7) to clean it up & then apply wax to the area! A couple of wasted hours - won't go that route again.

In the past I have used WD40 that has sat for many hours & was reapplied often to Suzuki bodywork emblems with almost no success. It worked pretty well on the "warning" stickers but NOT on the OEM "TL1000S", "Fuel Injected V-Twin" decals. Suzuki must use a few different types of adhessive on their stickers & know that many people remove those warning stickers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Hmmm. I took pictures of the process & it took 22 minutes to get one of the larger sticker's goo off the body panel - with taking breaks to take pictures.

Starting off - lots of older sticker residue on this TLS panel:

Getting the panel a little more than warm with a hair dryer:

Using the fleshy side of your thumb to push the stuff the goo starts to clump up:

Finished job, scratches courtesy of an old front tire and the gravel on the outside of Willow Springs' turn 5:

Works for me, doesn't cost lots of money & you don't use harsh solvents in the process. Heat can be your friend...

:)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
sandblaster will work........but the best thing by far is ucaliptus oil, after you put that on it it will almost fall off by itself.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...a little brake parts cleaner on a medium soft rag doesn't see to hurt the paint and works pretty well (just test it first to be sure it won't hurt your paint)...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
gasoline on a soft rag. but be carefull.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have used Acetone.......not sure if I spelled it correctly. But it is the stuff that makes nail polish remover seem like water. The only thing is you need to be quick and use water and a rag to dilute the residue on the plastic as soon as you wipe the rag across the sticker area.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
careful with the acetone, it will melt the plastics if you let it sit... It will craze (yellow and crack the windscreen and window in your clear clutch cover if you have one.)

just be really careful with it... eats lots of stuff effortlessly before you can go "oh chit" and wash it off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Much agreed! Thats why you must use a water and a cloth as soon as you use the acetone. BUT STILL BE QUICK!!!!.....lol

I used it to clean my bowling ball a few years ago at the alley and it took the fake wood coloring off the table!

·
Registered
129 Posts
WD-40 works the best just let it sit for a few minutes. If may take a few tries but it shouldnt hurt the paint.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
just to let a few of you know that don't already.
ACETONE IS NAIL POLISH REMOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

thet just add dye, and scent for the ladies.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hrm......could be, I though acetone was just a portion of nail polish remover.

It seems stronger, from past experience of getting it in cuts and what not.

Have to research this further.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I took them all off my TLS with goo-gone, just soaked a paper towel in it then left it on the glue goo for a while. No damage to the finish. It's a citrus-based cleaner, (byproduct of the orange juice industry?). So is Simple Green, which I use diluted on the bike and full-strength on wheels, but haven't tried on the sticker goo. But be careful, goof off is a totally different product, I think it's a latex paint remover for when you drip latex interior house paint on your switchplate or nice floor.

·
Registered
618 Posts
WD40!!!!!!!!!!!!.....It won't hurt anything....it's readily available....and if you forget and leave it on, it still won't hurt anything.
Regards Sonny

1 - 20 of 24 Posts