4,013 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed.
Can't wait to see more updates.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hit a big problem, the Ohlins won't fit :banghead

It fits perfect in the available space but is too high and clashes with the seat and tank bracket.

I have 3 options :-

1. find a shorter shock
2. cut a section out of the swingarm and machine a billet replacement block to allow the shock to sit lower
3. revert back to the TLS shock setup and weld on the tabs :dowhat

I'll have to think.............

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The Rocker sits about 1" higher than the subframe rails.

I will be raising the tail, but only enough to modenise it and not so it looks daft, which will help slightly.

If I keep the shock vertical or maybe slightly leaning back I won't have issues with the rear tank bracket but will have to either raise the seat or modify the underside and mounting method.

If I turn the rear hub eccentric 180 Deg it also helps by lowering the swingarm but kinda spoils the looks and not the point really.

I considered getting my suspension guy to strip the shock and see if I could shorten the body, but as it cost £350 I'm a bit reluctant as the resale value becomes zero !

I've not given up yet on the 916 shock but need to pull up a chair and look for a bit longer :)

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
3. revert back to the TLS shock setup and weld on the tabs :dowhat

I'll have to think.............
No U don´t cause number 3 is not an option :rant atleast not with an sssa :no

hope U can make it work :thumbup

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've emailed Ohlins to see if they do a shorter version of the 46PRX style shock from another fitment with similar spring rates and valving, don't hold out much hope though for a reply :laugh

I'll fit it in somehow, just haven't figured how yet...........

Just plotted the linkage positions in CAD for the 916 with 130mm of rear wheel travel. Although Ohlins state a shock stroke of 71mm I make it 85mm, so Ohlins must not count the bump stop compression :O

The front of the rocker lifts 34mm on full travel which I need to take into account so I don't smash a hole in my tank first time I bottom it out :laugh

The 5 Spoke 916 Marchesini arrived today and the GSXR Radial Forks and Calipers last week, so all I need now is time and for the bank statements to "disappear"

Keep looking at buying my own AC/DC TIG welder but can't justify the cost just yet......might have to ask santa next year :)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Sam, any chance I can get that drawing in a much better resolution / in vector format?

Greetings
Rufer

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sam, any chance I can get that drawing in a much better resolution / in vector format?
I only have the 916 Drawing in Jpeg unfortunately (in slightly better quality than posted above), but I can email you the CAD drawing I've done below of the swingarm and linkages so you can get the measurements etc

Just for information, here's some measurements (based on the 916 dimensions)

Rear Wheel Travel 130mm
Bottom Shock Mount moves 32.5mm
Front of Rocker moves 35mm
Rear of Rocker/Top of Shock moves 50mm
Compression of shock 76.5mm

This gives a shock linkage ratio of 1:2.35
or a total rear wheel/shock lever ratio of 1.7:1

So for every 1.7mm of rear wheel movement the shock compresses 1mm

I spoke to Maxton a year or so back when looking at fitting a single shock on my race TLS and converting to one combined shock like the TLR Ohlins and recall them saying you need to try and get a ratio of around 2:1 to keep within available spring choices and obtain slow enough shock speeds to achive good adjustable damping characteristics. Half the TLS swinging arm length (2:1) put the bottom shock mount position where the tyre was, so that plan was ditched as I would still need a reduction linkage :laugh

The TLR Ohlins conversion uses no linkages, but has a bloody big spring and probably not ideal damper speeds, but must work pretty well, the shock is also shorter than a 916 and would make my space problem much easier.................Hmmmm, anyone want a 916 Ohlins just serviced by K-Tec with receipts to prove !!

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
After years of wanting I finally paid £800 for a harrison L5 lathe and over the past few years probably paid the same again in tooling but it's so handy to have and doesn't take up too much room........
Ok but then who pays for the expensive on-the-job training & work experience :laugh

Keep up the good work ... real interesting stuff :)

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Kamikuza said:
Ok but then who pays for the expensive on-the-job training & work experience :)
If at first you don't succeed..............................make another :laugh

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
How about some lowering spacers?

$30.00 from Race Tech, I am sure you could easily make them for the Ohlins, now that you know what they look like :coocoo

Clicky

Clicky

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
How about some lowering spacers?
Cheers Doug, I'm thinking along the same lines.

If I can shorten the Ohlins shock by 30mm I can make it all fit.

My suspension guy says the TLR Ohlins kit is not very good and was the best Ohlins could offer as a bolt-on due to demand. He agrees with the incorrect lever ratio and far from ideal shim stacks which have very poor low speed damping due to the 1000lb+ spring needed. Use as a last resort he said if I can't fit a rocker in !!

I'm sure I can shorten the ohlins by 30mm, and thought I had sussed it until I realised that once shortened I can't get enough slack to get the spring retainer on and off unless I use a spring compressor or get a shorter spring of the same rate.

I feel as though I'm heading in the right direction now by sticking with the rocker method. I still need the 76mm travel of the ohlins so can't really use Dougs suggestion of spacers unless I make another ratio rocker aswell which starts getting a bit too involved for my limited lathe skills :laugh

The TLS has 128mm rear wheel travel compared to the 916's 130mm so pretty equal there.

My suspension guy says he has a shorter shock body laying around somewhere, so calling in to see him tommorrow before I let the gas out of mine and strip it..........

A few more pictures

Notice how close the rocker pivot is to been in perfect alignment with the top subframe bolts.....................

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Even if it would fit, I would have some doubts that the upper subframe mounts would hold that thing in place :O
I only ever saw one TLS monoshock setup. That was a pivoted forward, short Ohlins shock with linkage just like the LE / Penske TLR setup.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
ficheman said:
.....make another
Problem is, finding billet Aluminium etc here in Japan is a nightmare ... I've been scrounging rubbish from my companies but it's not always good or useful stuff :(

So the Ohlins TLR isn't up to par? Oh dear :) I was thinking about the rear the other day, thinking that I'd rather go with Ohlins cos it was a name I knew ... guess I better keep thinking ;)

On a side note ... my old DR250 had a cantilever setup for the rear. Looked nothing like that though :laugh

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Even if it would fit, I would have some doubts that the upper subframe mounts would hold that thing in place :O

Greetings
Rufer
The top subframe holes are too close to perfect not to use, I will make 2No 10mm side plates either side of the rocker picking up the rotary damper mounts like on the TLS Ohlins kit to re-enforce that area. I can make a long M10 bolt and spacers to pass through the whole assembly including the tank support pad brackets.

With a stock length 916 shock those holes were too low, but with a shortened shock the're in exactly the right place and will look a better job.

21 - 40 of 296 Posts