TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 TL1000R that had been in a front end crash - bent forks, bent wheel, busted fairings, etc., but appeared otherwise in good shape, and had a full Yosh system. I've rebuilt it, using parts from TL Zone and Planet members, and eBay. The front forks felt a bit loose after reconstruction, with a bit of fore-aft movement on the brakes, so I took the whole front end off and examined the steering head tube that holds the upper and lower steering head bearings. The top looked OK, but the bottom was damaged, apparently from multiple hard landings after wheelies, because the bottom bearing race was cracked, and the tube was deformed front to back, with an actual groove holding the lower race. I was able to get the old race out and replace it with a roller bearing. which is deeper and, with a bit of grinding, fit tightly.

Unfortunately, on braking, both going forward or backing down my driveway, when I put on the brakes I hear a sharp "click" and feel a bit of movement in the bars. I'm assuming my fix didn't.

Does anyone have a trashed frame from which I could get the steering head tube, or have a source for a replacement tube? I'd hate to take the bike off the road to remove the tube and have a replacement machined, but that may be my only option.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Good luck. I know in the past that tube has been difficult to source. I think a couple memebers have had them machined.....

best of luck:thumbup

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Or you might find someone selling the race offset tube. I blew my chance to get one of those...cute trick piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts