TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my front forks, wheel, fairing, etc for some winter maintenance. As I was putting it all back together, I noticed the lower arm of the steering damper is actually touching the gas tank. Its been like this for a while, as the tank has a small scuff on it. It doesn't look like its been bent, and the tank certainly can't move back any, so I'm wondering if this is just the way it is?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
No, the damper should not touch the tank. Something is misaligned, or parts are missing.
Is this a TLR or TLS?
Can you post a photo of the damper interference?
Also is this a standard fitment steering damper or an aftermarket one with different mounting brackets?
As 6/5 says a picture or 2 would help.: thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a TLS, 1999, with the factory damper. I looked at it again, and wonder if there is a washer or bushing that is missing, to maybe shim it out a bit. I'll try that. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out how to post the pictures I took of the damper lower arm

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,463 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Diagrams suggest the fitting as per the photo is correct. Not having a TLS to hand I can't say for sure but could you fix the issue by turning part #9 through 180 degrees? Don't know if it fits onto the frame both ways round.

https://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/shop/online-store/suzuki-parts-finder/tl/tl1000s/v-k1-1997-2001.htm?vehicle_id=123#!tl1000ssteeringdamper1

The other possibility is the tank isn't seated correctly. :dunno
As the steering damper bracket bolts on using the two front tank mounts I can't really see how it can be bolted on wrong.
Mine does run close to the tank but there is enough of a gap.
The Chinese damper I've got mounted now is also very close but does clear the tank.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Agreed. Not saying the mount post is on wrong. There doesn't look to be much scope for error when fitting. I was just wondering if you could reverse it as a workaround to the immediate issue. Given there isn't much clearance to start with I'm wondering if the tank itself is slightly out of whack. Maybe worth checking the mounts at the other end of the tank just to be sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My solution is to leave off the steering damper...
So I took it apart and started with a 1/8 washer between the steering damper and the fairing support cage bracket. When tightened, this moved the steering damper bracket away from the tank almost 1/4".
Perfect. Thanks for the help guys, I can't wait to get it on the road again, which in this part of Canada might be May

1 - 11 of 11 Posts