TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I should put the damper back onto my 99TLs, I have read where some members have removed their steering damper and continue to ride it that way. What are the pros and cons, I know the 97 models were prone to headshake that is why Suzuki added them to the later models. I have rasie the forks 5 mm in the trees to give me a bit quicker turn in. What do you all think?

Jim

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Pros are the bike handles more quickly, requires less effort to turn in and is more lively

cons are that it may become too lively!

You can probably find a great comprimise with a good aftermarket damper like the hyperpro. Short of that, running 2.5wt oil in the stock damper makes a noticeable improvement in handleing without really risking much.

I've been running without the damper for the last 38k miles or so and am quite happy with the way the bike handles. Others have gotten seriously hurt from crashing after headshake with and without a damper- I've never gotten the TLS to headshake, but then I just ride street. I imagine that if I were riding trac on the TLS I'd probably want a damper for the added security, but at even semi-legal speeds headshake just isn't a problem on the TLS for me. I have spent a lot of time racing MX bikes which are drastically more prone to headshake than the TL and may have a somewhat different prespective than most street-only guys.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have a TLR track bike and there were a couple of instances that I am glad I had a steering damper mounted on my bike. I have a Scotts simply because they survive better in the event of a crash.
Ken

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
My SD will not be coming off. Ive crested hills enough times and felt the front shake and the SD do its job. I was never sold on them until this bike.

scotts for the same reason.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
WC-gixxer said:
.... is why Suzuki added them to the later models.
They didn't just fit them to later ones, they re-called all the '97's out there and retro fitted them.

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I had a tankslapper on a Katana 600 on the street. That was my scariest experience on a bike in my life...including a few crashes. I NEVER want to go through that again.

I've since had a little shake on my old GSX-R600 and my old TLR, both fitted with factory steering dampers that settled it out immediately. I was thankful that they had them and continue to use them.

Aftermarket is a good idea though, will help to quicken up the steering similar to if you had it removed, but still be there if you need it. Also check out GPR's damper. Mounts similar to the scotts.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Just wait till you start hammering on that KTM:devious

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Since I'm not used to a front-end coming up easy I'm leaving it on for now. Sometimes it gets back on the street when I thought it never left earth.. Might try without when I put mx bars on the R! Does save some weight again..! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts