TLZone Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 TL1000R, 35k miles, ran great when I bought it earlier this year in Feb.

My problem: It sits for a week or 2, then I go to ride. It will start fine, but then it warms up & stops running, won't start again. I had it to the shop, they replaced the fouled plug, ran excellent! I bring my baby home, let sit for 2 weeks due to rain, Starts just fine, riding to work, I get a ways down the street & it stops on me. Won't start up, smells rich. Back to the shop, fouled plug, maybe kickstand switch so they disable it. I rode it home, ran well, but a little misfiring in one cylinder? Then cleared up. Stored for a week, then went to ride. Warming up, then cut out & can't restart. Been sitting 2 weeks now because I'm busy. I'll try starting in morning, but this is getting silly.

Should I just spend the $ on new fuel injectors & pump? I saw something about the fuel pressure regulator. Was trying to find an answer in the forums before asking. I was hoping to get a bit of fun out of this random score before having to rebuild. I have other projects to do first. Is there a way to fix without spending too much $? I already dropped close to $250 just for nothing yet. & I still have a bike that doesn't function like it should. I am convinced it's the fuel system, but maybe someone has encountered this before & has some suggestions? I'll have time this weekend to code it & stuff.

I'd like to be able to ride it to work, but I already missed a couple hours waiting for a tow. Last thing I need is to be stranded on the way home around midnight.

Thanks a lot in advance. I love this bike! I never thought I'd burn rice, let alone a sportbike, but I love the TL1000! My '01S was a great one. Rode cross country on her. Got a divorce, had some extra $ & just randomly found my "new" one. I want to ride her more because I have M4 pipes & need to school the Harley riders in my part of town. There's an over abundance & it's freaking annoying hearing that crap.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Are the contacts in the spark plug boots clean? Try trimming a little bit off of each spark plug wire, the caps just unscrew. What plugs are you running?

Check all the vacuum hoses for leaks.

Download the service manual, there is a procedure for checking the fuel pump discharge on page 4-51.

Edit: Just noticed you said TLR, all I noticed the first time was the '01 TLS. The same test may apply for the tlr

Here is the TLR manual

1 - 3 of 3 Posts