TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 r. I have read an old post (08) about bike starting up with fast run set till it’s warm then putting it to run, it calming down then you are good to go and it’s like someone snatched your key. Turn off and back on....start.... it runs fine then killed. I recently replaced the gasket on pump. It was doing the slow leak thing. It damaged the plastics pretty good. So I’m thinking gas got at a wire and it’s shorting out? Thing is I can start it and move the hole wiring harness and it will stay running sometimes and others it is like it knows I’m going to touch it and it dies before I do. Pump seemed good when I had it out and the front half of harness has been reworked already. Fresh gas. I found one - that had a pinch in it but repaired and made no difference. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
So, you did not replace the fuel pump or the filter when you had it apart. Correct?

Do the fuel volume test outlined on page 4-51 in the manual, and let us know what you find. You should see 30 ml of fuel come through the regulator during the prime cycle after key on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, you did not replace the fuel pump or the filter when you had it apart. Correct?

Do the fuel volume test outlined on page 4-51 in the manual, and let us know what you find. You should see 30 ml of fuel come through the regulator during the prime cycle after key on.
I did not replace pump. Tank and pump were clean, like new. I will look into 4-51 and let you all know. I had to take the battery cover off and charge on big charger and I started it up. It got up to temp, I took it off the charger, took it off rear stand, went to put cover on battery and it died, not like slow, it was like I hit the kill switch. So I cranked it back up, and took the battery and moved it all around. Got on backed up and went to 3000rpms got her rolling and when I stopped I kept it at 2000 I let go of gas and it sat, took off again and let it idle put it in N and on side stand. It sat for a min and just died. Fired right back pulled in garage and it died. Then it would not fire. Let it sit a min and tried......nothing another min and it starts right up. I’m leaning towards fuel pump. I’ve got a 04 tahoe and it had the same symptoms. Would run great one min then just lay down. Fire right back up and it might not go five feet or it might go 500 miles then it would lay down. Replaced pump and it’s not gave me any trouble since. I’ll let you know what I find out for sure. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was definitely pump. Replaced it with a cheapy off eBay and not any trouble since. Thanks for your help. It really helped me to narrow it down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts