TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what's the best way to start a TLS when the weather gets colder,without flooding the engine out and fouling the plugs:banghead I think i might have fouled my plugs out AGAIN trying to start it today,It backfired and now it won't start,Thanks for the help:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I just put the fast idle lever to full fast and push the starter button, has worked quite well for me, started at 9°F last winter (motor was probably a bit colder as the bike had been outside all night). If its flooding out and fouling plugs somethings wrong. Perhaps lousy ht leads, coils, power to the coils or wrong heat range plugs. My first guess is HT leads, they are not well sealed to the coils and tend to get corroded there as well as where they connect to the plug caps. SV1k coils and leads can be used and are much better made imho.

You should be running CR8_ _ plugs.

It doesn't even get cold in Ocala does it? :laugh

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i've got the correct plugs,The bike was running fine until the temperture dropped,The same thing happened last year when i got the bike in december,The friday i picked it up it was fine,The next day it got pretty cold and the bike wouldn't start.I don't know,Maybe i just have to get the hang of starting this thing when the weather gets cold,When the weather is nice the bike runs perfect,So i don't think the things you said might be a problem is a issue.And despite what the Vacation brochures might say,It can get pretty cold here.:)

·
Registered
813 Posts
My tl never ever ever starts first time cold....2nd time everytime but first try never.....
I figure hell will freeze over before the TL starts on the first try when cold...

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Perhaps your battery is weak:O I know that if the battery doesn't turn the motor over quickly enough it will foul the plugs. In cold weather a batter doesn't put out as much juice as in warmer weather. It really should start about the same in any weather you'll see in FL. Even way below freezing it should start up without much drama, just slightly longer cranking than normal.

You don't have super thick oil in it do you? You should have 10w-40 or 5w-40.

good luck

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery started dragging a bit right before i decided to give it a break,I'll put it on the charger and try again tomorow,it has 20w50 in it right now,I'll probably change the oil and filter while i'm at it

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
TB = Throttle Body

20w-50 is a bit thick for a TL. Its usually reserved for hardleys and air cooled motors that run 300 deg F oil temps. Try the proper weight oil, it will make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm a dork....what is this TB you speak of?
Way to snipe me on ebay on the water pump and t-stat housing. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
My R almost always takes 3 tries if the motor is cold (hasn't been running recently).

Tried to start the other day (outside temp low 40s she had been in the shed all night) and wouldn't start. I had to use my charger. Within a week later the outside temp was 60s and the bike had been outside. She started no prob.

I am putting thinner oil in for the colder weather. I don't remember without looking what is in the motor now. I think it is just a function of a twin.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,I'm takeing out the plugs i had in the bike (cr9ek),And replaceing them with the correct cr8ek's,I'm also changeing the oil and filter,And while i'm at it i'm going to change the radiator fluid and recharge the K&N,One thing always leads to another

·
Registered
218 Posts
Way to snipe me on ebay on the water pump and t-stat housing. Much appreciated.
Sorry if you're upset, but it is a free for all over there at the Bay. It probably won't make you feel any better to know that they are going on an other "pretty green one" will it?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well,I'm takeing out the plugs i had in the bike (cr9ek),And replaceing them with the correct cr8ek's,I'm also changeing the oil and filter,And while i'm at it i'm going to change the radiator fluid and recharge the K&N,One thing always leads to another
I'd be interested to know if the plugs have much effect. I also have the cr9eks in mine. I'm not sure why that is what the shop I got them from said the bike is supposed to have and that is what it had in it when I got it and I have seen other say they are the right ones but the service manuel clearly says the 8s are correct. I believe that the 8 is a hotter plug right?:O

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Yes the 8s are a hotter plug.

and, yes, the plugs do make a difference.

:)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Sorry if you're upset, but it is a free for all over there at the Bay. It probably won't make you feel any better to know that they are going on an other "pretty green one" will it?
eh, I really don't need em, my bike has never had those issues, I'm just running out of things to do to it. I bought a new black vortex gascap intead...that's how much left I have to do.... only reason I was thinking about it was because i'm having some dyno tuning done...but whatever, I can always find em.

still don't like the snipers though...unless its me!

·
Registered
218 Posts
eh, I really don't need em, my bike has never had those issues, I'm just running out of things to do to it. I bought a new black vortex gascap intead...that's how much left I have to do.... only reason I was thinking about it was because i'm having some dyno tuning done...but whatever, I can always find em.

still don't like the snipers though...unless its me!
I was thinking with your list of mods that parts acquisition was not an issue for you.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I was thinking with your list of mods that parts acquisition was not an issue for you.
well, the only reason I was thinking about it was for the dyno tune I want to get and making sure it's in the right temp is reasonably important. it runs a bit cool, but it's never seem to be an issue.

yea, I guess I've done a few things to it...but I've had it since June of 99 so plenty of years to throw bits on it...especially since there hasn't been anything else made similar that interests me.

hope you enjoy yours half as much as I have :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts