1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
WOW... what is truely amazing to me... the roof line holds with the door line! And.... why why why... that car was in fine condition.... i'd have just sold it and bought a two door. :) Good luck with the project.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
What sort of mods have you got planned -the full monty?, should look great when you get it done what ever youve got in mind:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well there is a bunch of people doing this mod to four doors because they are cheap. The two doors are way to expensive to buy even in clunker form. Have fun and enjoy that great project. I miss my dad not being around anymore. He and I used to restore a car a year. Was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why? Cos I wanna. I don't really like 2s any more than 4s, and yes the car was in good shape. But I just want to see if I can. Selling off all my other cars and concentrating on this one. Gonna go to town on it.. got a crate motor, adding a 4L60E, a Ford 8.8 rear end, air bags, then a blower and a built trans. Gonna smooth the firewall, do something with the inner fenders, add AC and a nice stereo. Going super luxury interior. Probably get rack and pinion power steering, weld up all the joints in the dash etc. Luckily I found the coupe doors this week. I was just about to start making 2 long doors out of my fronts and another pair I got. The real fun comes next weekend when I try to make the post out of parts of the rear door. Strangely the 2dr and 4dr doors have different door jamb profiles too, so I have to cut and swap those.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
Big job. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I wondered if that might be the case. good luck with the conversion

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
nasty .
for my 2c how about keeping it a 4 door a la mazda RX8

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought about it. There are 2 things you could do.

Just leave the 4 doors on and suicide the rears. I've seen this done, it's an easy job, but it's nothing special.

As above but attach the post to the front of the back door so that when both are open, the side of the car is all open. Better, but you have issues with 3 point seat belts in the front, and you still have a pillar between the back of the back door and the little tiny triangular window. Would look odd. To get rid of that, you would basically need to start with a 4dr hardtop, which was not available in 55. Creating a 4dr hardtop involves a roof transplant, as the 4dr ht has a different rear window area that ends further forward. Starting with mine would mean the rear door would end way too far back.

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
rust sucks :banghead but it could be worse love your old vette :hail

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sold the vette :(
My old man still has a couple of convertible vettes tho :)

I love finding rust in these old cars. Anything from about 1960 back is really cool to work on - before they got serious automation and design. It's all simple stuff I can reshape with simple tools.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I envey you Miles. To be able to do that stuff and come up with new ideas and working on stuff like that, i really do. I see why the new welding helmet came out!.

Good luck ...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get into one mate. It isn't hard or expensive to get started and you do one bit at a time. Buy or borrow new tools as ya need em. Mostly I just have basic hand tools, a few average power tools and a welder. I've seen a few decent project cars around the 5 grand mark lately. The new helmet is the absolute dogs bollocks. Improved my welding 500%.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
nice vette.

Miles, I too have a project :)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
You're a glutton for punishment aren't you Miles?
Good work mate,coming along nicely:thumbup

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,857 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts