TLZone Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding my 97 tl1000s home from work and it just randomly died when i got it home i checked the codes and there's none it still has spark and fuel is getting to the injectors but i dont know if the injectors are shooting out fuel yet any other ideas on what it can be

· Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,784 Posts
Does it still refuse to start?

Will it crank the engine over, but not start?

Or will it not even crank over?

Do the dash lights illuminate?

Are the headlights OK?

Measure the battery voltage while cranking the engine over, and let us know how low the voltage goes.

Tell us any more details you can recall about its failure and attempts to start it.

Did the instruments behave strangely before it died?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Are the headlights OK?

Measure the battery voltage while cranking the engine over, and let us know how low the voltage goes.

Tell us any more details you can recall about its failure and attempts to start it.

[/QUO

Are the headlights OK?

it still cranks perfectly fine dash is still perfect and same with headlight it just refuses to start i think its bad injectors

· Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
it still cranks perfectly fine dash is still perfect and same with headlight it just refuses to start i think its bad injectors
Since it "died randomly," it is more likely that the fuel pump or fuel filter has failed, or a loose hose inside the tank if it has been modified with an external filter.
The injectors don't just die suddenly like that. They fade over time, or clog after being parked.

Remove the return fuel line to the tank and measure the amount of fuel that flows out during the prime cycle. Should be 30ml. See the test description on page 4-51 in the manual.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since it "died randomly," it is more likely that the fuel pump or fuel filter has failed, or a loose hose inside the tank if it has been modified with an external filter.
The injectors don't just die suddenly like that. They fade over time, or clog after being parked.

Remove the return fuel line to the tank and measure the amount of fuel that flows out during the prime cycle. Should be 30ml. See the test description on page 4-51 in the manual.
ill check but fuel pump and filter are brand new

· Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
,,,,, so i put 2 on and tugged on it and it was tight but if it happens again ill use real hose claps
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if it happens again....in heavy traffic (like Phoenix)....you could end up dead.
Losing fuel pressure on a fuel injected engine equals an immediate cessation of power.

I would recommend using real hose clamps now.

Something like this.... that doesn't chew into the rubber tubing.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/20Rp2LPp6Y]20181225_144519[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]Tony Six5[/url], on Flickr

Then, depending on the location of the connection, I have also used safety wire to anchor the hose clamp to the fixture to prevent any slippage.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if it happens again....in heavy traffic (like Phoenix)....you could end up dead.
Losing fuel pressure on a fuel injected engine equals an immediate cessation of power.

I would recommend using real hose clamps now.

Something like this.... that doesn't chew into the rubber tubing.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/20Rp2LPp6Y]20181225_144519[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/]Tony Six5[/url], on Flickr

Then, depending on the location of the connection, I have also used safety wire to anchor the hose clamp to the fixture to prevent any slippage.
when it gets nicer out i will but i doubt it will come loose for now and Phoenix ny?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts