TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever set a 96-99 gix tank on a TLS? I don't mean mounting it...just looked at it to see if it's even possible?

I'm trying to look at them online and they look like they have similar lines...but w/o buying one and setting it on it it's hard to tell. Would love to get a narrower tank on there.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'd love a narrower tank too, that wide tank splaying my knees out is my biggest gripe about the TL egronomically. I didn't know an SRAD tank was any narrower though (never ridden an SRAD bike other than the TL of course):O

The SV1k and 650 tanks are a lot narrower IIRC, might also be good options:O

good luck:thumbup

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly certain the srad tanks are narrower, and there's someone that's pretty local selling 3 of them, 40 bucks for the most expensive one. I am guessing the cap and fuel pump would slip right in, and fabing up a mount wouldn't be all that difficult assuming the general shap was close enough. sounds like a fun winter project actually.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
the srad tank is a lot comfier then the TL tank trust me my last bike was a srad

not sure if one would fit though as the srad tank is a 18 litres where the TL is 17 litres

would be handy to have a extra litre though :devious

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my brief research so far, actually the K1 tanks look like a closer match...

Just ordered some new head bearings today, shock is going in for service, adjusting valves...etc in the next month or so, so tank will be off. I'm very tempted to take it down to Fremont Cycle salvage and compare it to some and see if anything looks like it might be made to work....would definately appreciate thinner, trying to schedule a thunderhill day for the spring.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Not narrower at all. I've put one on there and it looks stupid and wouldn't work The TL tank is so much narrower at the bottom. I find the TL to feel very narrow (not ducati narrow, but narrow compared to most i-4's). Just look at the frame spars of each of the bikes and you'll see it right away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts