TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The night it started leaking oil, I first noticed it b/c it started squealing - that's what first caught my attention. 1st off, what was the squealing? Secondly, I've put the oil back in and drove it around for a while - no problems. So I decided to take it into work today (bringing oil with me!), and when I first got it leaned over a ways, that squeal briefly came back, but quit when the bike was upright. It did it a few times leaned over and once when I was coming up to a stop light. So I stopped when I could and added a little more oil... no more squeal all the way to work. But it still does it when it's cold in the morning...

So... What's up with that??

Oh, and my clutch fluid was really low... would that have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
uh, what?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
uhh... what don't you get? It has a squeal related to loss of oil and I need to know what it is.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the engine oil is the same as the clutch oil, its all in the same system.

the squeak could be anything and most likely not related to the oil level. if you have lost that much oil that your bike is squeaking then it would probably be ceased up and right royally ****ed. have you sat on the bike and bounced it around to see if you can make it squeal. role it around and see if it squeals.

if your bike is leaking that much that you need to carry oil around to keep it topped up then get your bike fixed. to much oil will stuff the engine. to little oil will stuff the engine. stop riding it and get it checked out. Do you know how to check the oil level correctly? download the service manual.

where is it leaking from? how much oil did you loose?

when was its last service?

you got the "uh, what?" reply because most of what you said makes no sense and to expect diagnosis from what little info you have given is unreasonable.

download the manual, start reading up, strip the bike do some investigation, and report back to us or take the bike to a mechanic.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
the engine oil is the same as the clutch oil, its all in the same system.
Why does the clutch reservoir say 'Dot4' brake fluid if it's just 10w-40 like the engine oil?

the squeak could be anything and most likely not related to the oil level. if you have lost that much oil that your bike is squeaking then it would probably be ceased up and right royally ****ed. have you sat on the bike and bounced it around to see if you can make it squeal. role it around and see if it squeals.
It's definitely an engine related squeal.

if your bike is leaking that much that you need to carry oil around to keep it topped up then get your bike fixed. to much oil will stuff the engine. to little oil will stuff the engine. stop riding it and get it checked out.
Yeah, I keep oil w/ me, but have topped it off with no leakage since. I did decide to park it until I take it down to the shop (next day or two).

Do you know how to check the oil level correctly? download the service manual.
Yes, and done.

where is it leaking from? how much oil did you loose?
WAS leaking from the right hand side cover... the two bottom bolts came totally loose and leaked it all... pretty much ALL out. I tightened the bolts back down, refilled it, checked it over and over again, ran it for a while on the stand, took it around the block, the neighborhood, then the town. No more loss...

when was its last service?
2k miles ago

you got the "uh, what?" reply because most of what you said makes no sense and to expect diagnosis from what little info you have given is unreasonable.
I just figured w/ all the TL'ers on here, someone would have experienced it before and know what I'm talking about. The knowledge on here is pretty extensive... and anyone who has had this happen would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's a pretty distinct sound.

download the manual, start reading up, strip the bike do some investigation, and report back to us or take the bike to a mechanic.
Done, done, and done. I'm gonna take it into the shop and I will definitely report back so that anyone else in the future with this problem can find the answer quickly...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I think you have made yourself perfectly clear - dunno what got up those two:coocoo:laugh.

You said 'clutch fluid' in your first post, which also makes perfect sense, as the TLR has a hydrolic clutch, and takes Dot 4.

The squeal sounds like clutch plates - if they got a bit dry when you lost oil they could make that kind of noise. This is also consistant with it happening when leaned over (on the stand side anyway) - oil is drained away from the clutch to the other side of the bike; and with being cold, as the oil will drain off the plates a certain amount overnight. This may also tie in with low clutch fluid - if it causes the clutch to drag.

The fact that is still happening cold, could suggest you have glazed the steels slightly. I'd whip em out, check everything is within spec., then replace and/or give the plates a light rub with some fine sandpaper. Then give em a good clean with iso or sumsuch, and dry with compressed air. Rub a film of oil over all the plates and re-assemble. I am by no means an expert; this is just what I would do. You could prolly find more clutch info. here http://wotid.com/tls/content/category/1/26/56/.

I'm not familiar with th TLR hydro clutch; but I imagine it is similar to the brake system; so I would top up the res. and bleed the **** out of it, until the system is full of new fluid.

Bob should be your mother's brother:).

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
yes you did say clutch fluid not clutch oil my mistake sorry.

If like TLJimmy said its the clutch then its fairly easy to take it apart and check everything. manual goes through it step by step. take some photos and post up any questions.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweeeeet. Thanks guys... will update this thread when done!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more thing... (always one more, right?) Can I still drive it this way? If it's only squeaky clutch plates, do I run a risk of permanently ruining anything? (besides the plates). I was thinking about just getting all new plates anyway... whadya say?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
It is not a dead cert that the clutch is your problem, just an "educated guess". If it were me I'd try the clutch fix before I rode it. I'd hate to say yeah no worry's mate (which I probably would if I was CERTAIN it was glazed plates, and you were gonna replace them) and the have your motor shit itself cos it was something else:O.

It would probly only be an hour to clean up the plates - even less - it's a really simple job. IIRC that link I gave you on my first post takes you through disassembly/reassembly.

Good luck mate. A coupla beers and a stereo in your shed and the time flys:laugh.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeeeaahh.... good call. I'll just do it soon and go from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... update. It's been a while, so here's what happened.

I'm pretty sure the squeal was the clutch plates. Instead of taking it all apart, I thought I'd take it out and rev it high, slipping the clutch to get the clutch plates to rub and maybe clean themselves off. It worked. THAT squeal stopped for a couple months. Then I got another one. I'm pretty danged sure that it was a new one since I could more easily locate this new squeal. This new squeal was on the left side, right under the black piece of plastic that covers the front sprocket. I heard it again, reached down and tapped that black piece and it went away for a while. But came back. Took it into the shop and it was some bushings in there that had worn out.

So... in case anyone comes across this in the future, TomM was right on page one - it could be anything. First time I'm pretty sure it was the clutch plates being glazed. Second time - bushings. Sooo... if you have a squeak or squeal - good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts