TLZone Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 TLR, it recently started making a very annoying squeaking sound. The sound feel as if it is coming from the rear suspision and linkage. As anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
More than likely the link bearings need greased and/or the SOAS is causing the problem. If it's the latter a quick shot with some lube will provide temporary relief.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
If you've got a spare few hours then go for stripping and lubing all the linkages, then if you're REALLY bored/too much time to kill drop the swing-arm out and do that too!!

I wait until my winter lay-up to get all that done, never had a squeak yet!

shouldn't have said that :coocoo I can hear the damn thing squeeling now:laugh

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
got exactly the same thing on my TLs

but i dont mind as i just ride faster so i dont hear it :laugh :laugh
When the SOAS starts making a noise it means the chrome on the shaft is worn and the inner bush is starting to gall... Its funny until it jams and puts the spring up against the cylinder.. :thumbup

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80127

All TL's need the rear linkages stripped,cleaned and lubricated before the 20000 km mark or the needle rollers and bushs will have started to wear due to the poor job from the factory..fwiw.

Another thing i have noticed for those running Vee Two Australia or copies of it TLS RHA..It might pay to check the alignment of the rose joint at the swingarm lugs.There is a possibility it cocks the link off the frame causing wear.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When the SOAS starts making a noise it means the chrome on the shaft is worn and the inner bush is starting to gall... Its funny until it jams and puts the spring up against the cylinder.. :thumbup

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80127.

ahh well its a good job im getting a bitubo after christmas :devious

or do i spend the money on a pc111 :O

might just strip that SOAS anyway :confused

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
ahh well its a good job im getting a bitubo after christmas :devious

or do i spend the money on a pc111 :O

might just strip that SOAS anyway :confused
The problem is it is a sealed unit of dubious construction (The overlap of the body and shaft is very small)
Steve has some great pics on his Website if you want to see what they do in the end as far as wear.
If the thing had a grease nipple or something from new it might have been a tad better.
The TLR unit seems to hold up no problem. :confused

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, newbie question. What does SOAS stand for? I just got my TLR a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80127

All TL's need the rear linkages stripped,cleaned and lubricated before the 20000 km mark or the needle rollers and bushs will have started to wear due to the poor job from the factory..fwiw.

Another thing i have noticed for those running Vee Two Australia or copies of it TLS RHA..It might pay to check the alignment of the rose joint at the swingarm lugs.There is a possibility it cocks the link off the frame causing wear.

I think that, while it's a great idea, it's not necessarily mandatory for the needle bearings. While the Japanese factories are famous for being stingy with the grease, at 45k miles both my swingarm and head bearings were in great shape and did not need a thing done to them. I replaced the head and repacked the swingarm anyway...but I don't think it has anything to do with the squeek being described.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
soak it down in WD40. worked for me for two years

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
i had same thing other month..squeaked really bad at slower speeds but quiet once over 50 or so...couldnt quite put my finger on it, untill i searched the site...bingo!! i lubed the spring..still sounded bad...checked damper bolts..the top left damper bolt was well loose...tightned that up and noise all gone..so check those bolts..:rant

1 - 15 of 15 Posts