TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This quarkstion pertains to the TL-R:

Okay folks, I've seen some folks say they're running a 16 toof sprocket on the front, and even a person or two claiming to be using a 15. Others say you will dig into the swing arm guard with anything smaller than a 17 toof. I don't mind digging into the guard, but for obvious reasons don't want the swing arm getting chewed up. Heck, I could even remove the guard if that solves the issue. So what say you folks who've tried a sub-16 toof front sprocket, how did it work for you?

Also, am I off in thinking running the smallest front sprocket that will function properly is the way to go? Seems like the smaller the front, the smaller the back would be, which seems like it would equate to less rotated weight.

Please educate me, o' Tiller gurus!

-Matt

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I don't think you will have any problem with one toof (!) down on the front sprocket.
The idea, though, is that the smaller the radius of the sprocket, the harder you make the life of the chain.

I would rather go with two up on the rear instead,

To be honest, I am one up on the rear but I never liked it that much as I prefer the motor to be a little lower when cruising. Even those 500 rpm made a difference on my ears...

Take note that one down on the front equals to almost three teeth on the rear...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm wanting to go 1 down in the front and up two or three on the rear. I didn't consider the smaller radius of the sprocket being harder on the chain. I guess I leave the 17 on the front, and go up to a 45 or 46 on the rear.

-Matt

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Are you planning to make it a stunt bike? :O
That big of a rear sprocket will need a longer chain, too.
And top speed will be a lot lower ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm running a 16-40 set up and i love it. it dug into the chain buffer very slightly, but once it was wore in everything was fine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i'm ordering my 17-41 kit next week if funds allow. i'm 240 lbs and want more bottom end for wheelie fun but dont want to give up too much on top. i like the occasional road trip and i don't do track riding. everyone on here has their own opinion on what to run and why but this topic keeps coming up. seems like we could come up with some sorta scale to help members pick the best combo for their needs :confused

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did 42 on the rear, left front stock- doesn't really wheelie so much, but it is like strapping your self to a box of TNT on the launch...

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you like hitting the twisties hard & doing the occasional wheely, I found a 17F-43R the best way to go,but you will need a new chain to fit the larger sprocky.....You can still cruse on a 100 @ approx 4500rpm...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm a bit worried about the RPMs being too high while cruising. 14-43 or 17-44 is probably what I'll end up with. Should be very similar to the 16-40 that Dave's running.

The bike won't pull to the redline in 6th anyway, so it won't be clipping any top end speed.

-Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
here in pennsylvania the roads suck. alot of good twisties but not a whole lot of places for top end runs. my bike will redline 6th gear with the current set up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i haven't experienced this but i've read on here where a few guys tried 15 tooth front and saw premature chain wear because of the smaller diameter turn as well as the rub on the swingarm. yes i said premature!:lol

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
...... I didn't consider the smaller radius of the sprocket being harder on the chain. ...
It doesn indeed, and the larger the rear acually puts less strain on the chain.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
16/44 was on the bike when i bought it. I don't have any probs with the chain rubbing. She pulls good. she will redline in 6th, if your brave enough to try it on the highways here( might get your pic taken and ticket in the mail!). speedo is way the heck off.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
16/44 was on the bike when i bought it. I don't have any probs with the chain rubbing. She pulls good. she will redline in 6th, if your brave enough to try it on the highways here( might get your pic taken and ticket in the mail!). speedo is way the heck off.
So, what's the engine speed like cruising at, say 75 MPH or so?

-Matt

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I'm the kind of guy who sticks with a 530, so of course I prefer larger front and rear sprockets, really good chain and really good sprockets. Reliability is just number one for me. Now if I just had a running bike put togther anymore LOL!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Im running +2 on rear with a 190/55 rear tire (so 17/41) on my TLR.... Cruising at 80-85mph is about 5k rpm and I can pull to over 165 on the speedo (not sure how far off it is actually) have yet to hit the rev limiter but have gotten to about 10k rpm before letting off

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting stuff. I saw Chucks calculator, but I like torturing myself, so I calculated it all the hard way. Only took an hour to remember how, but it was a good refresher course. :)

Mu bike will pull to 165 on the speedo with the stock gearing, but no more. I'm guessing that's about 147-150 MPH, according to my buddy's GPS. I was thinking the bike might pull slightly higher RPMs with the shorter gearing, but now that I think of it, I don't know why it would. Without more power, the bike is going to top out where it tops out, RPM wise. So I guess I will be dropping a few MPH of the top. Like I said, I don't get a chance to go that fast too often (and shouldn't even do it that much). Maybe with a good exhaust, a PC and tune, I can get a little of that lost top end back. :)

-Matt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts