TLZone Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a tlr from a guy in the middle of nowhere for what seemed to be a good price...realize when i get her home that the speedo is not working. Pulled the speedo sensor to see what looks like chain rubmarks. Is the sensor supposed to be completely round and a little larger diameter wise than a sharpie marker or is it supposed to be squared off on the one side of the sensor nub. The guy said he put 2000 mi on her since november and pretty much all of it was idiot driving of practicing brake torqueing in the local gas station parking lot, burnouts at every stoplight and learning how to ride a twin cylinder 1000cc unicycle. any help would be great...btw, totally new to the forum and streetbikes in general...looking forward to getting into my new obsession...been a dirt rider for the last 20 or so years.

·
Premium Member
29,860 Posts
The sensor target is an alloy piece that is held onto the end of the output shaft by an allen headed bolt in the centre of it..

It has 4 'prongs' on it, looks like a castle nut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, i guess i wasn't clear enough....the sensor that is bolted to the frame...actually through the frame is what i was referring to. it had some rub marks and i already ordered a new one...hopefully it is the fix or if not, i now know what to check next...make sure that there is no damage to the castle nut-esque part pictured....then onto possible speedo issues

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i believe we are talking about the same item....i finally got a pic of it so let me know if you think there has been damage done and if it could be the culprit for the non-operating speedo

Attachments

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Can you try another picture that is in focus? really hard to make out what is even in the pic, let alone if normal or not.

·
Premium Member
29,860 Posts
:banghead Don't know why I was thinking of the target.

That sensor looks sad. Going from the pic I'd say it's destroyed.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
i believe we are talking about the same item....i finally got a pic of it so let me know if you think there has been damage done and if it could be the culprit for the non-operating speedo
I don't have any pics of the hall effect sensor (or is that the rotating part on the sprocket) online but that part you have appears to have a chunk out of the body.
That can't be a good thing,any chance you can borrow one to do a swap to see if it fixes the problem.

Edit ... I just spotted the new pic,its [email protected]#$ed by the look of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
already have one on order, and i used to work at the motorcycle shop where i ordered it so i can get it for near cost to them...plus probably return it if i need to. I just want my speedo to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fixed!!!

the sensor WAS all I needed...and boy was it a bear to install....but all is well and now i can tell the officer just how fast i thought i was going

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
somebody before me went through the wiring and zip tied a bunch of wires together. Had to remove the fuel tank disconnect several vacuum lines and go fishing for over an hour trying to get the connector out from under the air box. The frame was stopping me from having a easy install.

·
Registered
651 Posts
how much did the senor cost you? i have to replace mine as well. Is there anything that matches our TL like hayabusa or SV? Looks like my is all ragged out like someone got hungry lol...

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Pretty much any GSXR, Hayabusa, TL, SV1K all are identical.
Flea-bay usually has a bunch of these available.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to work for the local suzuki dealer so i still get cost plus a little pricing.
I paid around $25 or so for the sensor...its pretty straight forward to replace...just really well buried if you have an R.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.