TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...
As I mentioned in the last few days.......I did a soaking wet ride in the rain and ran into problems.....
So I checked the spark plus wires today....and inside part "17" on the forward facing cylinder......it was still wet inside with a little road grit too....after a day with the fan on it....

all other connections were dry and seemed un corroded....mint

My question is....do the new ones come in parts....or are the assembled ?

As i'm not planning anymore rides in the rain...could i just redo the connection (cut the wire back and reattach) and slap some new plugs as i'm sure one of mine got alot of unburned gas on it ?

Any secrets to gettin the plugs in and out safely ?

thanks in advance

Stephen

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/39/Year/1998/ModelID/6207/Model/TL1000R/GroupID/252189/Group/ELECTRICAL

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool lad....thanks for the info
so whats the best ht lead....I'm assuming its gotta be 1.75 o.d. or very close
how about the internals or any specs....anyone ?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I’m using sum Bosh 8mm silicon inductive lead.
You need to shave of part of the outer jacket to get it to fit into the coil * cap.
Haven’t had a problem with the leads since I did the mod 12 months ago.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I’m using sum Bosh 8mm silicon inductive lead.
You need to shave of part of the outer jacket to get it to fit into the coil * cap.
Haven’t had a problem with the leads since I did the mod 12 months ago.
Are they solid wire core?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The oem ones are sold with the coils, the oem ones for an SV1k are bonded to the coils (and I mean really bonded) and very water proof. If it were me (and it was me a little while ago) I'd buy new coil/lead assy's and be done with it. SV coils are a touch smaller physically than TL coils, but its not hard to mount them in the same location. The leads are the correct length.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oem ones are sold with the coils, the oem ones for an SV1k are bonded to the coils (and I mean really bonded) and very water proof. If it were me (and it was me a little while ago) I'd buy new coil/lead assy's and be done with it. SV coils are a touch smaller physically than TL coils, but its not hard to mount them in the same location. The leads are the correct length.
got pic of them mounted lad ?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are they solid wire core?

No
The core is made out of a piece of ferrite with a stainless steel wire raped around it.
It is the modern equivalent of the old carbon suppression leads.
Using inductive lead also lets u remove the resister from the plug cap which will give you a
Better spark.

And less interference to the ECU

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what size socket are denso Iridium plugs ? ???

and what make of socket is everybody using ??
as none of mine will get in there...fxxk !!!

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I always used the articulated one that was in the tool kit.

The plugs have a 16mm hex.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I use a regular 5/8" Sears Craftsman spark plug socket. They're nice as they come with the little rubber insert to protect the insulator.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
5/8th and 16mm = same so it is metric I'm sure.

I don't have a pic of the SV coils but its just like the regular coil, only shorter.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
I replaced my OEM plug wires with 8.8mm ACCEL wire. As Pad said, you just need to trim them down a bit with a razor. A touch of silicone sealant around the wire as you are screwing it into the coil helps... both acts as a lubricant, and then once it sets up, it seals the wire in the coil.

not sure if it was the coils, or the wires, but I was missing occationally on one cylinder for about half a season at low RMP and on moist/damp days.

replaced the coils and wires... narry a problem after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts