TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all ! has anyone had a speed sensor die on them ?:banghead
I`ve checked the terminals at the speedo end and i`m getting 12 volts or there abouts and have`nt got the resistor they use in the manual to test the sensor !!
If they tend to go i`ll take a punt on another but if anyone could throw some light on this i`d be greatful:hail

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
It usually happens when somebody replaces the rear sprocket and doesn't get the clearance from the sensor to the crown trigger correct, or forgets to plug the sensor back in, or leaves the trigger off the countershaft completely or tries to customize the bike without any sprocket cover or an eliminator to hold the sensor.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
I'm going to point you away from the sensor and toward fuses or connectors as a much more likely cause.

I know I lost the alot of the guages with a fuse being blown.

expand your focus, getting fixed on the sensor only, when it may not be the problem, can be frustrating.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i`ve now found the problem ! the last owner had done a spot of wiring and twisted the wires together instead of soldering them ??!! so hey presto all fix for nothing :) many thanks for everyones input

·
Registered
684 Posts
Apologies for the thread bump, but I have a similar problem.

Long story...
I discovered back in around 2007/2008 that my speedo was under-reading by about 15%
Didn't do anything about it
Aug 2009 binned the bike - lowside at approx 50mph on the right hand side
Fast forward to June 2013 and the broken bits are replaced and the bike is MOTd by my local mechanic, but the speedo now isn't working at all (discovered after I got the bike back - they dropped it off at my house as I was working away)
Since the speedo was faulty before the crash I just bought a new set of clocks on ebay and put them on, assuming that would fix everything
speedo doesn't work with this set either :(

So, before I splash out on a new speedo sensor any ideas what I should look at or check first?
Everything else on the dash works just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,649 Posts

So, before I splash out on a new speedo sensor any ideas what I should look at or check first?
Everything else on the dash works just fine.
There is a test outlined for the speedo sensor on page 7-31 in the manual. Have you been through that exercise yet?

If the sensor passes the test, then it comes down to verifying the continuity of the associated wires through the loom to the instrument cluster.

Also, make sure they haven't rubbed through, resulting in a short to the chassis somewhere.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I haven't - TBH, if I get a result that suggests that I have to replace the sensor I'm not sure I'll trust that I've done the test right! I guess I can do it both ways to look for changes (0V to 12V OR 12V to 0V) and that should give me some confidence that I've connected everything correctly.

I'll have a look around today and see if I can find a shop to buy the stuff I need.

Thanks for the advice. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.