TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
Audi A6, BMW 5 series - both strong cars, but as ever can get dear when cars in that price range start going wrong .....

I have a strong affection for the Omega - a very under-rated car. :) We had a 2.5 tdi Elite estate for four years and it was absolutely superb ... you'll find the v6 quite thirsty though :dowhat :O

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well we a have a nice 1.6 ghia festa that Clare will use but for the family trips need something bigger. My runabout, a 2.5 V6 Ford Probe is lovely to drive but no good for the 3 of us, pram etc

I've had a 2.5 V6 vauxhall before and even as an auto mpg was not bad.....averageing about 5000 miles a year in the Probe so fingers crossed...petrol situation wont be too bad

I used the thump around in omegas when in the filth. I think the car is too heavy and big for the smaller 2.0 engines. No need for a 3.0 or 3.2. I'm hoping/thinking that the 2.5 will be a good all round choice

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
The omegas are a good choice............

I have just bought a second one............... the "under powered" 2ltr CDX saloon, 'cos I'm an old fart...:laugh

The 2.5 V6 elite estate I had previously was a great car and I would recommend them to any one. My preference is for the auto 'cos of the running around town I do.

As you say plenty around too. Go for the V6 2.5 elite or CDX.

Mine returned about 24 to the gallon. I did about 50 miles a day back and forth to work. About 30 miles on the A1(M) and 20 miles on town roads.

Have a look at this site www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk

Plenty of knowledge there like on here and some cars for sale that have been looked after by enthusiasts. Also plenty on ebay and autotrader. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Try jap stuff too...Ive an old 93 civic 1600 sohc vetec , its not the biggest car but its bomb proof and I can get between 30 and 40 mpg..., I had my dads old carina 2 litre diesel 132000 miles and drove like new (till some one crashed into it) ..I cannt see past hondas or toyotas at the mo.... Having said that our proper car is a diesel mondeo and ive no complaints about that either.. My next run about may be a vulva 840 est or a jag 3.2 with lpg( guy at work)....wife wants me to get a 1 litre run about for the cheap tax but the saving is only a couple of quid a yr besides I like big cars.

I have to say though that when your spending 1500 or less its condition that matters most rather than the car type or manufacturer.

sorry for the rambling..

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
Essex_Andy said:
Cheers Ted....funnily enough joined that forum last night. very good buyers guide on there

Yea, I noticed your thread there too..............

It seems the MPG between the 2ltr and the V6 is about 5 to 7 miles so the additional power is useful. With kids the leather is useful and easier to clean. If you use a furniture polish on the seats every now and then the sweets, burgers, fizzy pop and sick come off easily and the wife slips in and out easily too.

Mine now has velour seats and the wife is always moaning about it being difficult to arrange her skirt as the upholstery grabs at it....

Mind you she moaned about the hot leather in the summer and the cold leather in the winter so its par for the course anyway.:O

the estate is deffo the one to go for - shed loads of room - brought a 3 seater sofa home in mine once.

I think I will give it 3 or 4 years with this one then go back to the V6, will look for a 03 elite at that point.

Toyed with an A6 and a Passat but the Omega is much better value for money.

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
can't fault what Ted says ...... but certainly the Elite (and I thought the CDX with leather seats) gets heated seats all round :confused mine did anyway.

the 2.2 litre 4cyl is a good compromise engine, between 4 cyl frugality and seamless v6 urge :)

the early diesels are beautiful - they use the BMW straight 6 - but later ones are a bit asthmatic being Vauxhall's own 4 cyl thing...... Like I said, we loved ours (BMW engined) and it only let us down at the end - when it caught fire :dowhat Generally did around 30mpg town driving rising to high 30's on a run ..... that engine encourages naughtiness :devious

get a CDX or Elite estate and you also get self levelling rear suspension - chuck as much in there as you like and it always rides nice :hail

I would also agree with Ted - get an Auto on all except the 4 cyl engines. It's one of the few cars where a manual is worth less than an auto :dowhat

·
Premium Member
6,905 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts