TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting better at taking the bad with the good on my drag racing career :)

i must say that two weekends ago was probably my most discouraging weekend of racing in a long, long time. it was however, still better than work. :banana

got up to bakerfield on thursday AM. weather was gorgeous, air was OK... set up camp

some 700 cars and bikes. the long weekend starts with a gamblers race.

first round is thursday night after several times trials during the day. bikes running right about 10.50s. like $1K to win. i redlight with a -.003 reaction time. :banghead

thursday night it starts to rain, then hail, then more rain. it rains for 24 hours.

saturday the rain has stopped, they finally get the track cleaned up and the racing ensues. the gamblers race has to be cancelled due to lost time and the first round winners get a few more bucks back than the entry cost.

racing ensues.

saturday is the gamblers race, $4K to win and a trip to the run the winternationals in pomona and limited to 4 bikes or cars per team per class. heres we go...

another redlight. :banghead -.002

im done for saturday...

i drink some beers...

one of our regulars wins the sportsmen wally and $4K...

m/c race of champions final bike passes...

sunday arrives. the long race is sunday. racing starts at 8 AM and finally bikes run first round at 3 PM. in an effort to stage shallow and stop redlighting i make a staging error, twinkle the 2nd stage bulb at redlight myself with a staging error. :banghead

i pack up and go home.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Great pics and it sure does look like it would beat work by a long shot!

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
So, being unfamiliar to drag racing, I'm guessing you were launching .002 second before the green light? :)

Nice pics, sucks about the weather.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Nice writeup. And nice VW bus :) Oh and nice cars.
Well, sometimes things go really wrong. But hey, you didn't crash and you didn't blow the engine!

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
damn N2, that's too bad. It sucks to spend so much time and effort to not perform well, sorry bro. reminds me of my first track day ever on my new TLR...8 laps in and I highside the bitch being an idiot :banghead

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...hey, you were still doing what you love to do... I work every weekend and my off days are Tues/Wed....fortunatly I love running my restaurant/club and the weekdays off are nice to get things done for myself...

If I want a weekend day off I just turn in a leave chit...

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the nice words guys. :thumbup im was pretty depressed at the end of the week. im feeling better now. sometime it seems that the only way i learn is by first making the mistakes. :laugh

i did get a sourvenier photo from the weekend... no wheelie shots :lol

oh yeah, another white sock photo for the collection :coocoo

W

·
0 Posts
:laugh great pic though :thumbup

but i'm with jasen on this one, did you jump the lights, or was your reaction time simply too fast? (like they do in athletics races: if you react faster than 0.15 of a second or something, it is considered a false start...) :O

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's an awsome pic:hail

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wreckah said:
:laugh great pic though :thumbup

but i'm with jasen on this one, did you jump the lights, or was your reaction time simply too fast? (like they do in athletics races: if you react faster than 0.15 of a second or something, it is considered a false start...) :O

you leave on the yellow which is .400 seconds before the green. i idea is it takes about that amount of time physically react and have the bike move far enough to break the start beam. there isnt really a way to jump the light unless you are just guessing its about to go. i was probably just staging a bit deep.... its pretty hard to redlight with a .002 or even redlight at all on a pro tree on a bike, especially with a street tire and no wheelie bar. if those lights would have been .000 - .020 i would have been pretty invinceable...

:banana

1 - 11 of 11 Posts