TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Steve's SOAS that was bent and seized and had locked the rear end of his bike up solid. From this thread where we fitted a solid tube in his bike for a week.

Inspect you SOAS shaft and check for wear, if it's wearing through the chrome on the shaft, you're on your way to having one like this. Go grab that Bitubo and eliminate the SOAS.

Lubricate the shaft, before it starts wearing. Once there's a bit of chrome gone, It's too late and it will only be a matter of time. I remember seeing a picture many years ago of a mod a guy did. He fitted a grease nipple to the end of the SOAS and would put a bit of grease in it every so often. Probably not a bad thing to do (don't fill it though, it would only need a dab)

I think Wreckah had a bent SOAS too, probably looked exactly the same on the inside.

The shaft was showing signs of wear. (All are click for big ones).

Here's a view of the bush

And an inside view. Notice the wall of the tube wearing too. If this hadn't bound up, it wouldn't have taken long for the end of the shaft to poke through.

Here's some wear in the other end of the tube. Notice the wall thickness.

A bit of wear on the shaft, shaft nut and more than half of the bush / (end stop?) is missing.

Another view

Here it is end on. (It used to be a hex nut on the end)

This is how it would have been sitting in the tube

It's a tough angle, lots of wear everywhere.

W

·
0 Posts
cool, i love watching surgery pics :laugh
how many kms on steve's bike before it collapsed?

in my case it was at about 70.000kms i think, happily replaced with bitubo :)

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steve's had 70,000~75,000km on his. :dowhat

I wonder how Paul Devir's was at 75K, he'd be pushing 130K now.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
yukky!!! ewwwwwwwwwww,,, I wannna vomit!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Nice research there Steve..... interesting

W

·
0 Posts
suzuki should add a new service interval:

70.000kms: replace SOAS with new one :)

130K on a TLS :hail

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
had mine go the same way after 50.000 miles,

rear and was very stiff, and super creaky, fitted another standard one though as i have an ohlins damper on

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
50,000 miles ~ 80,000km

Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
My has 56000 km and last year started to do a extrange noise on the rear suspension . I fix it just lubricate the SOAS rod.... So my could be algo on the dead way.

I'm waiting to recive a Traxxion rear spring so I'll disasamble the SOAS very soon. Good chance for a deeper inspection...but maybe it's time to go to " want to buy forum" and get one just in case. I have an Ohlins already so the bitubo it's not an option....

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
One has to say that how the bush / shaft guide is made is really the last crap. Mine wasn't nearly as bad but had too much play anyway. My suspension builder rebuilt a proper shaft guide with a much longer guide. A must for all the TLS Ohlins/Wilbers drivers.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
271 Posts
yep it was 75k km on mine but its been makin noises for prob the last 30,000

anyone's who creaking its on the way out!!
I just thought the creaks were coming from the joints and it was normal
WRONG!!!

keep it lubed or pay the penalty :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
I also thought was bearings or pivot shaft on the swinger..... I grease everithing and finally was the rod.... dificult to say it is way down or not

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I'm at 47k miles on the stocker, still working about as well as it ever did. Have another SOAS on hand for when/if it breaks:)

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
I sent my SOAS down to New Zealand to replace one that had done just that too. Can't remember the miles the guy had but it is a common failure.

Steve, you should send it off to Suzuki and ask what they intend to do about it. :laugh

·
Premium Member
6,671 Posts
hmmmmm, here's me in the process of trying to decide which is best - hagon damper, which keeps the SOAS for £255 or Bitubo for £300 and eliminate the worry ..... :confused

As I went through the "braying Donkey" sound at the start of the year (cured with a lot of WD40), seems like the Bitubo is edging at present :O :confused

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The bike must have handled like crap while it was wearing down the metal like that, no?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have about 3000 miles on my SOAS...then the ohlins went in and now the SOAS has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years :lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts