TLZone Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and yes I searched...
Anyways i'm new here and I'm getting a sweet 1999 TL1000R with a bunch of goodies on it(Some pics will be below...)

However its coming with some tires that have been trackdayed/burnouted to death...lol

I'm goin to be realistic about how I ride.
I mostly commute in all weather in the city.
I like to use throttle alot ina straightline
i'm not often dragging a knee or anything.
Eventually I'd like to take the new TLR to the track so i'd likea tire that I can learn on, and will provide SOME grip atleast...

Basically I think I need a sport touring tire or something close to one, thing is I ehar the bikes are VERY particular about tire choice. So does aanybody have some opinions as to what tires I should be looking at, or more importantly FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE?

Anyways here ar the pics of the bike I'm going to get:D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Never used a sport tourer, but I've heard great things about the pilot road II's
I've used pilot road - great tires for touring, not so good for the track though.
Used pilot power too, and those I were quite happy with, got a decent mileage out of them (used both on road and track)

Both michelin tires have plenty of wet grip.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run Avon Storm ST. They have a changeable contact patch so you get more even wear and much longer life. Very good if you are doing a lot of straight line stuff, and pretty good for fun rides too, but they're not as grippy as supersport tyres.

I don't ride my TL in the wet if I can help it, but I have the same tyres on my Fazer and that goes out in all weather. If you're taking it easy, there's no problems. Cheaper than Bridgestone BT021 and last longer. Definitely cheaper than Pilots and last as long with similar grip.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've used pilot road - great tires for touring, not so good for the track though.
Used pilot power too, and those I were quite happy with, got a decent mileage out of them (used both on road and track)

Both michelin tires have plenty of wet grip.
:stupid

The last 6 sets of tires i got for 3 of my bikes were Pilot series.

Powers are phenomenal on the street and canyons, but don't last very long on the highway. Wet weather grip is excellent. They feel very light, with easy turn in. They also warm up quick.

The last 2 of of the 6 sets of tires were Pilot Road IICT's. They feel heavier than the Powers, but not more so than any other touring tire. They feeal bout as sticky on the sides as the Powers, but last a hell of a lot longer on the highway. Wet weather traction on these is great too.

I'm sold on the Pilot series, and will probably never get anything different.

·
Registered
181 Posts
:stupid
The last 2 of of the 6 sets of tires were Pilot Road IICT's. They feel heavier than the Powers, but not more so than any other touring tire. They feeal bout as sticky on the sides as the Powers, but last a hell of a lot longer on the highway. Wet weather traction on these is great too.

I'm sold on the Pilot series, and will probably never get anything different.
Just replaced my Rear with a pilot power 2ct, (based on the advice of the gentlemen on this fine forum).

The difference is much more than notable; it's night and day compared to the Dunslop i had on it before.

I get negligible slide in hard cornering (the dunslop would actually let go from time to time), there is almost no warmup time (which likely has to do with the fact that the temp of the asphalt in Arizona generally sits well above 100 F during the day), and best of all, it grips the road like it's its JOB :devious

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will need tires soon as well, i do not commute much on my tl thats what the st and the connie are for, so my need is a bit different. I think the roads will do you well 1ct or 2ct is the question. I am having the same arguement with myself over the powers do i go one count or two.

Edit: I would not put roads on the track.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other dodge product is someone else car....these pictures are the current soon to be previous owner of this bike. I'm trading a VERY fast 4 cylinder Mustang for this bike...How fast, fast enough some people seem to struggle to get their sportbikes down the quarter as fast as this car...especially the older bikes... mid 11s and all that;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would be a n00b at the track so i mean so long as the tire is safe and predictable, I would be ok with it at the track, I just dont wnat a tire with ugly traits near the limit...i.e sudden breakaway or soemthing like I've experienced with certain brands of car tires....I'm not new to motorcycles, just trackdays on them....so thats why I was bringing up the trackday thoughs...

The pilot Road 2s look good in articles I've read. I've also heard good stuff about the BT021s too...but neither tire has been reviewed by anyone on a TLR which is alot different than VFRs and FZ1s...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just tried the Bridgestone BT-016's (triple compound, otherwise similar to the Pilot Power 2CT) at a recent track day. Nice tire for sure. I'm a track noob (my first TD) but i balled up the sides pretty good and never had an oh-shit moment.

I had regular Pilot Powers on my TL last year. Great tire too. Only used on the street though and they do square off a bit unless you have access to lots of twisties.

Pilot Road 2CT is a perfect street tire IMO. I agree w/ others about their less than spectacular track day use though (if you plan on pushing it at all). I did not like the regular/original Pilot Roads.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Pilot Road II's sound like what you want - good wet grip, quick warm-up, and the dual compound means you get good mileage, and you can still drag a knee at the track with them, providing you are not going balls-to-the-wall:lol. I wouldn't touch plain Pilot Roads though - they are the single compound, with a different tread pattern; they seem to be tourers, not sport tourers IMHO. I had one on the back and got rid 1/2 worn...and a friend put them on to sell his bike, and hated them; in fact he nearly dumped it:doh

·
Registered
470 Posts
I went from Metzler M3s to Bridgstone Bt-016s and am VERY pleased with the BT-016s. Much better turn in, lighter steering. They transformed the bike. On the other hand, I do very little highway, no commuting and no track days. Just back roads. In about 400 miles on them, I can see shoulder wear on the softer compound, but no appreciable wear down the center.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Always stuck to Bridgestone on the TLR after riding with Pirelli Supercorsa's. Rode with BT012 and now BT002 (better than the Metzler M3,s) on my TLR and I'm very pleased with them, great cornering, great feedback. Of course it helps a lot to have your suspension setup right. Not all tires work ok with the same suspension setup so you may have to twiddle with it a bit (rebound and damping), different tires are shaped differently and will give you a different feel.
I ride with 190/50 and 120/70, the standard sizes. Just do the back roads and never really in the wet.
You can put about 5000 mls on a so called supersport tire and much more on a sport/tour tire. (if you don't do burnouts of course)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts