1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
It's not just the ECU, otherwise you could just dial the power in with a powercommander, teclusion etc. The '97 did have a different port shape, but the TLR uses the same shape as the 98+ TLS. The 97 and 98 both ran a smaller lighter clutch. (If people are fitting 520 chains claiming less rotational mass and lighter weight I don't know why they're not fitting the lighter clutches too ;)) I think the 97 also ran a lighter flywheel too. All of the above add up to a different feeling engine and all will show up as more power on an inertial dyno.

What about the shitty running mid range of the '97, or the poor fuel economy, or how some of them dump so much fuel from bad fueling that the oil level actually rises as it gets diluted by the fuel. :dunno

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

What about the shitty running mid range of the '97, or the poor fuel economy, or how some of them dump so much fuel from bad fueling that the oil level actually rises as it gets diluted by the fuel. :dunno
:laugh You are right about the lighter flywheel - which wouldn't help the 'jerkyness' at low speed:O. As to the rest, my mates '98 does get slightley better econmy, even after thermo mod:O; but my oil has never risen, though I've heard it happens, and riding under 3000 round town, you can crack the throttle in the first few gears - and since the airbox mod/yosh remap and TRE - she pulls cleanly and smoothly, with no stumbles etc; and will lift the front in 2nd, and have it skipping in 3rd, which another mates mates 2000 model TLS wouldn't; haven't tried with the '98, though he says he can't get it up in 2nd???. From what I can gather, and from limited testing, they seemed to get slower each year:dowhat:laugh:laugh.

I guess you wouldn't want to bruise the fragile ego of the R riders, by having the post '97 S lighter AND as powerful:).

·
Registered
108 Posts
well i know i have only had my 97 tls a little while, but it will easily come up in 1st and 2nd, tho i havent tried it in third, am planning on the thermo mod.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts

I guess you wouldn't want to bruise the fragile ego of the R riders, by having the post '97 S lighter AND as powerful:).
That's true. :laugh

(The 97 also had a smaller output shaft bearing (noticable difference in output :dunno) It also has different oiling and a smaller volume oil pump, less power used to turn it :dunno All samll differences when added together start adding up.)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those differences would add up to a lot quicker 'spinup', which in turn would explain why mine feels snappier...there are two shools of thought on the porting - I read an article recently that said that reducing the ports of an R6 by 30%:dowhat led to a 7% boost in output:confused. The before and after shot looked like the '97 (before) and '98 TLS (after) port size/shape. I might have to try a '98 head on a my '97:devious.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one I was talking about:).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jimmy, I put in a slightly heavier flywheel, although the rest of my '97 is standard (except the thermostat mod). The slightly heavier flywheel smoothed it out at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's funny people talk about '97's having poor fueling and lower RPM stumbles - mine is stock internally, and I have no trouble:O. Just mucking around yesterday, I found that I could slow down in 6th until I was doing 2000 rpm, and open the throttle and pull away smoothly, without touching the clutch. That's with 2t up on the back. Around town I have no stumbles, in any gear, at any revs - though I'm always on the clutch ready to feather it if I get too slow in first (around idle):), and also feather a bit if I have to snap the throttle in low gear at low revs - otherwise you get chain lash; but thats the same for most bikes. IIRC installing the TRE may've smoothed it out; and PC may've added to that..but she was always pretty good:devious

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
what month is you r97 jimmy?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
I just spent an hour reading this and it was very,very interesting.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fas...ke_porting.htm

I just spent an hour reading this and it was very,very interesting.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/think_fas...ke_porting.htm
I read it too and while he has some truth there its also coated in about 10ft of hype.

there is a balance betwwen port size , air velocity and the required amount of flow to make power. there is also a barrier where air reaches the speed of sound and literally won't travel any faster.
really want to learn then google professor blair .

you really need a flow bench to measure the air. you need to model the air requirements and you need to analyse the flow in the port itself. I'm not sure the guy on that site is really doing all of those things.

the shape of the port needs to maintain air speed . you cant just make it smaller or larger it has to be correct along its entire length.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its kind of like a big block 440 mopar vs a Hemi 426 . both engines having similar bottom ends , The 440 having from memory D shape smaller ports , the Hemi ( being designed as a race engine ) big round ports ( again from memory) . on the street the 440 feels more powerful and will pull a car length on a Hemi off the line ( all things being equal ) But get the big Hemi up in the RPM and its all over for the 440 .

Thee 440's the easier engine to live with , but everyone wants a 426 because its the niggly lumpy bad ass engine .

I think the same thing applies with the 97 , the port size and shape is a bit inefficient at low rpms making it lumpy and far from smooth , but when it comes on song at around 6500rpm its special . to live with every day the 98 and up are better but motorcycles are an emotive thing and the 97's have just that little extra rawness that stirs the soul like a HEMI does .

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
having a 97 doesn't necessarilly mean you have the round ports...........

from 10/97 on is 98 specs

·
Registered
155 Posts
having a 97 doesn't necessarilly mean you have the round ports...........

from 10/97 on is 98 specs
Interesting , mines early (03/07) when did the model change occur , ie V to W ?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
155 Posts
4/97 - one of the early ones:)

And as you said, 10/97 onwards had '98 specs.
A quick off topic question , where did you get your standard shape smoked screen ?? I have just resprayed my TL in the novelty black pearl colour and now it needs a dark screen to finish it off.

Dave

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike came with spare fairings, stock screen, and the smoked one:laugh. I think a mate got one on trade me:O You can also use that window tinting stuff - but I don't think you can see through it..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts