TLZone Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a few cool gearhead things happening in So. Cali this weekend.

Friday, September 15th - Sunday 17th there is the annual Route 66 Car Show happening in San Bernadino. Lots & lots of hot rods from around the region & the country for that matter make it out to this event every year. If you decide to go on Sunday go EARLY as lots of the cars that are not from the area get out of there by the early afternoon. Saturday & Friday are good days IMHO. The link is http://www.route-66.org/ & the admission is free.

Sunday the 17th is the annual Willow 200 roadrace. It is a run what you brung, unlimited class (like the old Formula USA) with one rider only per team running the 200 mile roadrace. That means tire strategies, pit stops for refueling and a huge purse payout. Winner gets $50,000, 2nd place is $30,000, 3rd is $15,000 & the payout goes way down the field! That is WAY more cash up for grabs than any other motorcycle roadrace in the country & even more than what World Superbike & MotoGP pays out for finishing a race. I have been to a few of these over the years & even worked on a team for this event & there is quite a bit of tension in the air just prior to the race as there is so much money on the line. Pit action is cool but you can move around the track & check out the action in many of the turns as well. The Willow 200 starts at 2 PM & is proceeded by a 50 mile long 250cc 2-stroke race at 1 PM. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me - I say Jason Perez has got to be a favorite there. He purposely missed the last 2 AMA National races to get ready for this event. If I was a betting man... Member DJKoenig will be handling the play by play on the mic as well. Here is a link to a press release with more details: http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=26986

Then on your way around to all these gearhead events drop in to the Cali Speedway to watch the doctor in action. The new drag strip at the Cali Speedway is on the North end of the facility & pretty much borders the railroad tracks. You can see it as you drive down Cherry Ave. coming in from the North as you drive on the bridge over the Southern Pacific railroad tracks.

Kick some ass N2!

-

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
thanks gerhard :thumbup

ill do my best to 'represent'

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Ron, the Cali Speedway Fire & Safety main guy, will keep an eye on your effort. Ron pretty much works all our track day events at the Cali Speedway & directs the other safety personnel as needed. Ron used to race flat track / dirt track in the 70's mostly at Ascot. So he has this thing for TLS's as it reminds him of the hot rodded Harley he used to run. But he also likes working all the drag race events at the speedway. If there is drag racing going on at the speedway the weekend we are running an event he always opts to work on the outside of the stadium! He admits it is way more fun than doing our roadrace events. So I'm pretty sure he will be out there & he should be able to pick out that TLS of yours. No red lighting as I am sure he will get me the low down on that if you do...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts