TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So did I get a great deal on a motor that's just barely broken in?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...name=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=190044002608

I'm going to have some work done on the '97 heads I got from N2Wheelies (very minor port, 5-angle or 7-angle valve job, SS valves, mild cams, new guides, check the springs, swap the idlers) and just slap them onto this bottom without a base gasket. Should be pretty darn sweet! I only paid $150 for the heads from N2.

And best of all, if I buy very long listings on eBay I might be able to do this for almost no cost just by selling off left-over extra parts.

·
Registered
414 Posts
looks like a steal, didn't know you could run w/o a base gasket though?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been asking around about how to set squish and also try to get a hair more compression, and heard that you can seal the cylinder to the cases with some liquid gasket stuff (leaving the gasket out completely) and the squish often ends up perfect (but still needs to be checked).

Actually the stock gaskets look pretty impressive and effective to me.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If you don't have adjustable cam sprockets slaping it together without a base gasket will retard your valve timing. Back in the blue board days everyone it seemed was taking layers out of the gasket for extra compression. IIRC the consensus was that it gave a bit more compression and performance, but the performance gain wasn't as big as it should have been due to the effect on valve timing.

There's a seller on ebay with the wiseco 12:1 pistons for ~$300, might be another good option:)

have fun

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
damn, that was one I was watching, but knew I wouldn't be able to go get.

smooooooth dude.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
If you don't have adjustable cam sprockets slaping it together without a base gasket will retard your valve timing. Back in the blue board days everyone it seemed was taking layers out of the gasket for extra compression. IIRC the consensus was that it gave a bit more compression and performance, but the performance gain wasn't as big as it should have been due to the effect on valve timing.

There's a seller on ebay with the wiseco 12:1 pistons for ~$300, might be another good option:)

have fun
+1

thats right, you take out the center layer of the base gasket.

maybe you should get a 9 angle valve job. :laugh

seriously, the heads i sold you are in perfect condition. it would be a shame to disassemble them or port them for that matter. they tested as good as new for compression and the motor ran a 10.80 at 2000 ft density altitude air before pulling them. i would really really suggest just bolting them up before you start in with the dremel. my new motor heads arent ported in the least bit and make 130 hp with a very very restrictive set of cans.

:banana

anyone looking for a case with the number ground off. maybe not such a good idea to ebay that particular item matey.

definitely get a copy of his pink slip or title with that motor. otherwise you may have issues when it comes to registering the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might buy his matching frame too, he's sending me the VIN now. He had no insurance, got hit, other guy's fault, big settlement after much time and many lawyers, most of the settlement was for injury, nobody claimed the wreck, he thinks it might not even be a Cal. salvage or rebuildable or totalled, might be completely clean but I'm going to run the numbers just in case. If he didn't report it out of service the registration might be current for all I know, gotta find out more info.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
A simple offset key on the primary chain drive for the cams will fix the timing issue. I plan to figure out exactly how much offset will return the timing to stock this winter. Mine has a stumble/light miss at very minimal throttle openings from 3000-4000. Drives you nuts when you are riding around town.

An offset key should be easy to have made at any local machine shop too.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
I'm loving eBay! Not only did I get the frame with numbers to match the engine,
:dowhat There was no match up with frame and engine numbers. No one's engine number matches the frame or visa versa. (That's the numbers matching. Unless you got a copy of the title or something with the separate VIN & Engine numbers on it? :dunno)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts