TLZone Forums banner

41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
You'll definitely have to do a cavity search then, ideal place to stash and endoscope. :crazy
I've known a few amateur gynocologists but never anyone who admitted to being an amateur proctologist :puke

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have 2 that I keep holding up against the various places on the bike, a long thin one about the width of the TL radiator but it's about 4" deep, and the other is from the smart car which is pretty compact and just about fits in the place of the TLR lower, just need to see if I can get the exhaust/blower intake & filter, starter motor, coolant hoses and outlet to the intake plenum all in the remaining space.....

I even thought about mounting it in front of the forks like the old BSA triples but it would look shite, not enough room under a dummy tank cover either. The tail would be ok but the long pipe runs would play havock with the throttle response I guess.

If I can't get it in the TLR location then it will probably be excluded. There's always the water injection option :laugh

hey sam, looking great mate, well done,

with the intercooler set up, ive gone the route of a honda 2004 tank cover, its pretty close for size to the standard tl one, just a little wider and taller up front (1 inch wider,and 0.5 inch taller)

it has allowed me to fit in a 2.5lt intake plenum, rising rate fuel reg, BOV and a intercooler from a late 80's/early 90's nissan 180sx/200sx (silvia) they are near square in dimensions and are approx 2.5inch thick, either way it fits between the frame rails, my intention is to drop the radiator down 1inch and fabricate a intake mouth that will sit on top of the radiator and channel incoming air to the intercooler under the tank.

as for my own blower set up, i have a gotten a friend machining up my blower housing atm, i have to take drive from the otherside of the engine in order to have correct rotation of the gt17 compressor housing.

im still sticking to my plan of cutting an inch of the top of the throttles and then maching up a new injector block to suit under the throttles so i can gain a secondary set of tl1000s injectors, of which shall be controlled by their own microfueller, and using tps/boost as a reference, A PC2 to control the rest of the bike

you'll most likely beat me to the cake tho, as i still have to rebuild the motor yet (4th gear dogs are shot, so may as well do the rest lol) im keeping to a standard engine build just blueprinting the lot, slightly dropping the compression (2 base gaskets), cleaning the heads and running 7psi, and fabricating my own 2-1 system, id be rapt with 160rwhp

keep up the good work.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Darn, you two guys really are amazing..

I'm in for copying the system onto my TLR whenever you get done. I've thrown a huge amount of money into my street-TLR so why not this as well :-D

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I wouldn't be so sure Joe :laugh

I'm aiming for around 12psi boost but have got the compression down quite a bit, although not as low as I wanted :banghead

The Smart Car Intercooler sounds to be a similar size to yours, I would love to get the intercooler under the TLS rad but I have concerns over cooling the engine with just the TLS rad. I could add a pair of VTR rads aswell but would rather loose the intercooler than do that :coocoo

I want to keep the stock TB's to keep this version simple for now which means no room for the intercooler under the tank.

I'm pretty sure for your 160bhp you'd be ok without one. Joakim with the RSV is not running one and is above that figure :thumbup

you'll most likely beat me to the cake tho, as i still have to rebuild the motor yet (4th gear dogs are shot, so may as well do the rest lol) im keeping to a standard engine build just blueprinting the lot, slightly dropping the compression (2 base gaskets), cleaning the heads and running 7psi, and fabricating my own 2-1 system, id be rapt with 160rwhp

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Smart Car Intercooler sounds to be a similar size to yours, I would love to get the intercooler under the TLS rad but I have concerns over cooling the engine with just the TLS rad. I could add a pair of VTR rads aswell but would rather loose the intercooler than do that :coocoo
thought about a radiator from PWR here in aus? veetwo tls and fimp have one, they do customs, could get one made, same size just thicker?

I want to keep the stock TB's to keep this version simple for now which means no room for the intercooler under the tank.
im sticking to stock tb's too, but like i said, cutting them down and then, making a plate below to mount an extra injector.... you could do the same and splice in the 2nd injector to the original items. having one single large injector can lead to some pretty stuffed up fueling and running down low.

I'm pretty sure for your 160bhp you'd be ok without one. Joakim with the RSV is not running one and is above that figure :thumbup
matbe so, but im wanting to keep compresion as high as posible to maximise torque, so an intercooler is paramount insurance in the fight against detonation, what i have shall fit, so may as well use it :devious, plus it sounds more impressive when at the pub.... supercharged, intercooled 1000cc v-twin :boring:laugh

cheers.joe.

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm pretty sure there will be lots of trial and error and development, lots of ways to skin a cat :thumbup

Front wheel spindle came today so I can start seeing what room I have tonight for the intercooler...........might be under the tank yet :laugh

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Ok, someone educate me here. I thought you used an intercooler with a turbo because the turbo is run off the exhaust, and therefore the turbo gets hot and heats the incoming air. But with a supercharger, it's run off the engine, right? So, shouldn't the air coming in be cold "relative" coming in thus negating the need for an intercooler that a turbo requires? I literally know nothing about this so please point me in the right direction.

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
When you compress air it gets hotter, hence an air compressor needing a fan to keep it cool when it's not even burning fuel etc

A turbo will transfer some additional heat over a supercharger by nature of the design.

·
14,150 Posts
:thumbup good point.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The Link is a good little unit, been around for years, has evolved into quite a trick piece. I'm friends with the local distributor (and it's developed here in Chch too), one of the guys there is an electrical engineer and does a lot of custom installs with it.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
If anyone interested in Sam's project wants to donate a useless '97 waterpump cover left over from their thermostat mod shoot me a PM... provided you're stateside.

·
14,150 Posts
Wait....there's a TL part that Sam DOESN'T have six extras of? :laugh

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
:hail I only wish I had a measure of his talent and skills.

·
14,150 Posts
and inventory, and tools. :D

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Wait....there's a TL part that Sam DOESN'T have six extras of? :laugh
I used my last (scabby) one that I suffered the abuse for on the engine that went to TLMonkey :laugh

Well, last night I machined up the GSXR spindle and made a new spacer to fit the TL Marchesini in the GSXR K5/K6 Forks/Yokes (3.5mm off the spindle shoulder and an 8.5mm spacer on the other side if anybody is interested :laugh)

Looking more and more like the intercooler is going to have to go under a dummy tank as crazymofo suggested. I don't plan on running a fairing, so a nice sleek scoop could be built into a CBR600RR tank cover to pull in air from the gap under the cross brace on the renthals :devious

Would be nice to keep the intercooler fan aswell if there is the room.

Eventually I will Hill Climb this bike so I only need a 1 gallon fuel tank which could be mounted where the gap mod usually is to offset some of the blower weight behind the CofG

·
Registered
197 Posts
sam i have a 97 water pump cover if you want, its yours for the cost of shipping. just confirm with me what part it is exactly as i have a complete set of tlr covers to replace my tl1000s items (doing the thermo upgrade)

also with the intercooler air feed, i think a great way to do it is to drop the radiator down an inch, put a mouth in 1inch by the width of the rad to sit above the rad.channel it so it directs air up and to the cooler.

as my 04 blade tank sits a bit taller then the tl one up front i can afford to run a scoop up top between the bar rises easily. but i think the big scoop sitting above the rad will be better, and the scoop will also act as a headsheild and drip tray for water mist spray on the cooler.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts

·
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
sam i have a 97 water pump cover if you want, its yours for the cost of shipping.
I'll drop you a PM Joe :hail

also with the intercooler air feed, i think a great way to do it is to drop the radiator down an inch, put a mouth in 1inch by the width of the rad to sit above the rad.channel it so it directs air up and to the cooler.

as my 04 blade tank sits a bit taller then the tl one up front i can afford to run a scoop up top between the bar rises easily. but i think the big scoop sitting above the rad will be better, and the scoop will also act as a headsheild and drip tray for water mist spray on the cooler.

cheers.joe.
With the intercooler under the tank it means I can go back to the TLR twin rads like I initially had on the SSSA special, the Top rad is shallower which means a gap between it and the frame :thumbup

My preference would be to get the intake coming in from a discrete "bonnet" scoop on the tank cover like a few of the modern day cars/trucks.

I really need to get the throttle bodies on to see what room I have as I was going to turn a fine thread on each TLS TB to screw on a flange to bolt to the plenum rather than rely on straps/clamps. The shorter TLR TB's would be better but it means more work and going to dual injectors aswell as a bigger nightmare in the fueling philosophy

41 - 60 of 222 Posts